Chapter Thirteen

Don't Close Your Eyes Chapter Thirteen

Liz sat on her mom's couch a few days after her kitchen sex with Taylor. She hadn't really wanted to come and see her but she didn't have a choice. Zac wasn't talking to her and Taylor just didn't appeal to her right now even though it seemed he was calling her every day.

"You alright baby girl?" Faith Barrymore asked as she looked at her daughter. It was apparent Liz had zoned out of the conversation they had been having.

Looking at her mother as she spoke Liz nodded her head yes, "I'm perfect," she lied as she smiled slightly. She was trying to portray that everything was okay, though she figured her mother would see through it. Her mother always saw through her bullshit.

"For some reason I don't buy that," Faith said as she put down the wash cloth she had been folding. She had always been able to tell when her daughter was lying to her. "Now tell me what is really bothering you?" she asked though it came out more like she was saying.

Sighing Liz looked away from her mother, "I keep screwing things up," she whispered before frowning. "I keep going back and forth between Zac and Taylor. I'm not sure which one I want, I mean I love them both but I know it would be greedy of me to have them both and realistically I can't have them both," she shrugged. She sounded so pathetic to herself.

Faith frowned as she listened to her daughter speak. She should have known those damn Hanson boys were involved somehow. It seemed like they were always involved when it came to things bugging Liz. "Elizabeth your life sounds like a soap opera, " Faith responded honestly. "And a part of me wants to tell you to chose Zac just because you are having his baby in a few months but even I know that wouldn't work. You are as stubborn as a mule and that still wouldn't get you out of this mess," she shrugged. "All I can say is you have to figure out what you are going to do soon, before that child of yours gets here."

"I know," Liz nodded as she heard the last of her mother's words. She knew she would have to make a decision before her child was born. Reaching down she grabbed a wash cloth from the basket and folded it. As she folded it she made a face, feeling a sharp pain in her stomach. Closing her eyes she soon dropped the wash cloth as she felt another sharp pain and some water between her legs. Looking down she saw her shorts were stained and she looked at her mother, "I think we need to get to the hospital," she said knowing that her water had more than likely broken.

Faith heard her daughter and looked confused. She was about to ask why but soon her eyes followed Liz's and she saw her daughter's shorts, "Oh dear god," she gasped as she stood up from the couch. She knew it was too soon for the baby to come. Liz was only three months almost four.

Liz heard her mother gasp and she felt tears sting her eyes as she her mother soon helped her up off of the couch and out the door, "Call Zac as you drive me," she said to her mother as they walked to the cars. Normally Liz was against talking on a cell and driving but Zac needed to know. He needed to know that something could be wrong with their baby.

Faith nodded and when they reached her car she helped Liz inside. Going around after Liz was in, she got in and buckled up. Starting the car she drove off and reached for her cell phone.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Zac who had been asleep on his bed awoke when he heard his cell phone ringing. Opening his eyes he reached over on the table between his bed and Taylor's. Without even checking the id he hit talk, "Hello?" he asked into the phone.

"Zachary," Faith said when she heard Zac answer his phone. "This is Liz's mother. I am taking her to St.John's. Her water may have possibly broken," Faith sighed sadly hoping that if it had there was something the doctors could do. "You need to get your ass there now," she said before hanging up.

Listening to Faith talk Zac felt his heart drop at her words. When the phone went dead, Zac hung up as well and moved out of the bed. Slipping on a shirt he ran downstairs where he found a pair of sandals. Putting them on he grabbed his keys and was soon out the door. Yes he had been pissed at Liz for sleeping with Taylor again but that didn't matter to him right now. What mattered was their baby.

Getting in his car he started it and drove off. The whole way to the hospital he knew he was breaking the speed limit and he sincerely hoped he didn't get pulled over for it. As he drove the only thing he could think about was the baby. It was what he wanted. It was what he hoped would eventually make Liz realize that she needed him and not Taylor.

Arriving at the hospital in less time than he normally would, Zac cut his car off and got out, pocketing his keys. Instead of walking he ran inside. He ran until he spotted Faith sitting in the waiting room, "How is she?" he asked as he stopped running and caught his breath.

Looking up at Zac, Faith sighed, "I..I'm not sure," she said as she shook her head and shrugged. "They wouldn't let me go back with her," she frowned. She had wanted too but the doctor had said she couldn't. "My baby girl needs me," she said fighting back tears. All she could remember was Liz's first miscarriage when she had been pregnant by Taylor.

Zac sat down beside Faith, "I'm sure she is fine," he said trying to reassure the older woman. He was also trying to reassure himself. Liz and the baby both had to be fine.

Sitting back in the chair Zac ran a hand through his hair. He kept watching the clock. He was praying they would know something soon. Shaking his leg he soon watched as a doctor walked over to them, "How is she?" Zac asked as he stood once the doctor was inches from him. He didn't give a shit about introductions, he just wanted to know that Liz and his child were okay.

"She's the best she can be," The doctor said as he looked at the man in front of him. "Her water broke and we couldn't stop the baby from coming," he admitted as he frowned. "By the time she got back to us the baby was already coming down. It didn't make it," he said shaking his head sadly.

Zac listened to the doctor and he felt like he had been punched in the gut. All of his breath had been sucked right out of him. His child, their child, it was dead, "C..can I see her?" he asked as his voice cracked and he felt hot tears stinging his eyes.

Nodding the doctor soon gave Zac, Liz's room number and walked away.

After the doctor left Zac walked to Liz's room though it wasn't with the same urgency he had when he ran inside the hospital. What could he say to Liz to make things better? Nothing he was sure. Their baby was gone and nothing could fix that.

Making it to her room, Zac took a deep breath and soon went inside. Seeing Liz laying on the bed with her eyes shut he slowly walked to the bed and laid down beside her, his arm going across her waist, "I'm here," he told her as his voice cracked again and he could feel the tears he had been holding back go down his cheek.

Opening her eyes when she heard Zac, Liz looked over at him and saw the tears on his cheek. They matched the ones on her own, "Our baby is gone," she said as she swallowed a lump in her throat. "Our baby is gone," she repeated not quite sure if she could accept that just yet.

"I know," Zac nodded as he held Liz closer to him. "I know it's gone," he frowned as he kissed her forehead. All he wanted was a way to turn back time and stop this from happening.

Nodding as Zac said he knew Liz closed her eyes again after he kissed her forehead. Resting her head on his chest as he brought her closer she sighed and kept her eyes closed just listening to his heart beat. It soon lulled her to sleep.

Feeling and hearing her breathing even out Zac moved and watched her sleep. He found it funny, he had been pissed at her for sleeping with Taylor again, yet here he was by her side when she needed him. He wanted her to see that he was the she needed to be with in the end.