Flint's Tale pt. 4

...I perched upon a flag post overlooking the combat arena with the castle's shadow camouflaging me from the soldier's sight. The glare of the setting sun shimmered against the knights' sliver armor as they sparred with their general who stood confidently before them.

Watching Kathrine move along the battle cycle caused my heart to skip. Weapon in hand, the woman pressed her feet on the ground firmly and awaited her three attackers to make the first move.

The knights held their blades towards her as they shuffled their legs along the dirt, kicking up clouds of dust that made them cough harshly. Rapidly thrusting their weapons at the general, the trio of castle soldiers attempted to strike the woman. Effortlessly taking two quick steps backward, the general dodged every attack and speedily spun her body to the left where she brought down her sword on the nearest knight.

The soldier was hit in square in the center of his breast plate and was sent sprawling on the floor with a massive dent in his armor. The man didn't dare to stand up after that. Instead, he let his comrades battle by themselves while he desperately tried to catch his breath.

Kathrine blocked the next attack and easily countered with the butt of her sword, knocking the opponent on his startled face. Spitting out a mouthful of dust, the solider whimpered on the ground as he clenched his bruised jaw.

The final combatant swung on last time, but she was immediately disarmed by the general who swatted the knights arm with the flat part of the sword. The young fighter's face reddened as she stared at the general who pointed the tip of her blade directly underneath the quivering throat of the knight. Not believing what had happened, the soldier had to looked down that her weapon, which lay limp on the ground, to make sure what she saw was real.

Sheathing her long sword into its leather scabbard, Kathrine walked away from the battle area with her head held high.

A young page with frizzy red hair brought a basin of fresh water as he smiled at the general. First clasping her hands together in thanks, Kathrine splashed the liquid across her face. Her fair skin glowed an orange hue in the sunlight while the cool water cascaded off it.

I felt my heart churned inside my chest, ripping me from within, as I gazed at her. Seeing the key dangling from her hip, where her sword hung, I cleared my thoughts and glided behind a tent to peaked at Kathrine as the boy gave her a dry towel.

The water basin excitedly teetered in the child's arms as he spoke to the general, "You were magnificent General! I wish to be as skilled as you when I finally become a knight. Then I can keep the castle safe from those dastardly townsfolk in the city."

Patting herself thoroughly with the towel, Kathrine frowned as she looked dulling at the boy. While she carefully set the damp cloth on the page's arm, her face seemed to darken. I could tell something was troubling her; the way the corner of her mouth curved downward indicated it.

"Jim," the general said as she bent down on one knee to be at eye level with the boy. "Knights are required to keep all inhabitance of the kingdom they serve safe. That includes the nobility as well as the commoners. They all need our protection."

Jim scrunched his brows together as he muttered, "But aren't we suppose to follow the royal family's orders? The king and queen have said that their subjects are organizing a rebellion to overthrow them. How can we protect traitors?"

Darting her gaze around the combat training area, just in case unwanted ears were close by, Kathrine softly exclaimed, "Not everything the royal family says is right. Even they can make- horrible mistakes."