The Princess's Tale pt. 3

Hobble and his rangers taught me many of their skills during our wait. I learned how to start a fire and how to discern which wild berries were edible and which ones were poison. They also tutored me in the art of stealth: The way to walk through the forest without rustling a single leaf and to kill someone in their sleep. All these new concepts, although foreign to me due to my privileged upbringing, I took to them rather quickly. It was my lust for revenge that drove me.

"Y-you're a rather quick learner," Hobble said in a low voice that gave away the uneasiness in his heart.

Perhaps it was the ferocious glint in my eyes as I plunged the dagger, bestowed unto me, into the belly of a deer we had hunted for tonight's supper. As I reveled at the feel of the animal blood tricking down my fingers, I could not help but sneer at the rangers gaping in horror at me. The merciless way I was able to successfully sneak up on the creature and gut it without the slightest sense of emotion must have not set well with them.

While I was alone wiping off the deer droppings from my face at a nearby stream, I noticed the sound of flapping wings. My head twirled around as I squinted in the darkness that had fallen on the base of the hill. Yes! Vesper had returned along with his bat brethren. Screeching his success into my overjoyed ears, the bat perched himself on my shoulder and whispered all he had done. Although I was still a novice, but steadily comprehending simple words of the bat language, I could tell that these lands would be teeming with criminals very soon.

"Good good!" I squealed.

Unable to control myself, I rubbed the bat behind his large ears which he enjoyed a great deal. The nocturnal mammal screeched happily and ran the edge of his wing against my cheek. With a laugh, I dug into my pocket and retrieved the berries which the bat desired. Vesper chirped and gobbled it up, while I scratched the top of his furry head.

Speaking childishly to the creature, I said, "Sweat little, Vesper. Who's a good boy? You are. You are!"

"A girl and her bat," laughed Hobble. He had snuck up behind me without making a sound.

Using one of my lessons the rangers taught me, I spun around and prepared a kick to the jaw at the foe I did not yet know was the leader of the rangers. Hobble easily blocked, grabbed my heel, and shoved my leg away sending me off balanced for a moment until I caught myself. I just barely retain my equilibrium by standing on my tiptoes and rocking back and forth.

Grinning at what I had learned, the ranger said, "Impressive, your majesty. But went combating with a ranger, you must try your own distinct attack. Something that would get the drop on an enemy that has training and will assume you will go for such a traditional strike. Might I suggest first lead in with your leg, but pull your body forward and go for a low jab. You could even take out your knife for a quick stab or two."

Vesper, who had fluttered off my shoulder the moment I went for the kick, circled in the air for a bit and then landed on Hobble's head. The creature pinched his talons into the man's dry scalp then eventually found a good place to lay down on his belly. The bat breathed with his blue tongue sticking out.

"The other bats have already informed us of the completion of their mission," said Hobble, pointing up at the top of the hill. He stroked the fury mammal on the back, gentle. "But Vesper here wanted to go and tell you personally. Guess he's taken a liking to you. And from the looks of things, you're enjoying his company as well. You two are an amusing pair. It's nice to see you like this: a girl and her pet playing together. Such a cute image!"

My brow furrowed at the ranger's words. Even if he meant it with the best intentions, I did not take it well. As you know, I had already been betrayed by a pet. I did not want a repeat of that same incident. All I wanted were loyal servants that would do my bidding without question.