Flint's Second Tale pt. 6

...Crawling along the stem of a berry bush, the beetle's long spiky pincers snapped at the air. It swirled its tiny antennas around in circles, and then they slowly wrapped themselves over one of the plant's juiciest berries. The insect's legs twitched in delight at the mouthwatering fruit which shimmered in the sunlight as it dangled off the plant just waiting to be devoured.

Suddenly, the bug froze as it heard the sound of a twig snapping underneath my talons. With my foot lifted off the ground and wobbling nervously, I didn't dare move a muscle as the beetle's wings popped out of its hard shell. I held my breath until the wings retracted.

Realizing it was safe to resume the hunt, I carefully maneuvered my spear underneath the insect and, with a yank, I quickly sent the bug flying up in the air. Next, I leaped into the sky and twirled my body around as I let the weapon slip from my wings. Grabbing it with my talons, I swung the spear at the bug while using my wings for stability. A sharp crack echoed throughout the forest. I plummeted along with the dead beetle which fell limp on the ground besides me.

Sneering in joy, I snatched the bug and stuffed it away in my travel sack along with the other bugs I had caught. A few months back, Edvrick had made me this small bag that matched Edvrick's own. I wore it with pride and never left the gift alone for a moment.

Proud of my bounty, I filled the rest of the sack with all the berries I could stuff inside. Next, I threw the bag and spear over my shoulders and fastened it securely to my back. My feathers giddily trembled while I tapped the side of my sore leg and bounded off the other one.

The muscles on my wings stiffened as I peacefully glided through the air. Chirping a tranquil little tune, I flew back where I left Edvrick sound asleep.

I landed in our camp. With its mossy green ground and a few trees sheltering us from the heat of the noon sun, this forest encampment was perfect after our strenuous labors the day before.

My talons stabbed into the dirt as I shook my long tail feathers, which had now grow to their normal length for a bird my size. Edvrick's suggestion that I add more herbs, like stinging nettles and rosemary, to my diet had worked, had given me a brand new coat of feathers that were much sturdier that what I had back with the old wizard. The memory of his dastardly home felt almost like a dream now that I was with the Sylph. Even being cast away from my animal brethren was only a distant memory that no longer hurt me so. Everything was better now with my new friend.

Edvrick was sleeping under a slanted pine tree where pinecones hung off the edge and grew in the dirt, burying themselves like roots. His bag was hanging from one the branches growing off the tree. Anytime the wind blew, the marbles inside his sack would make a soothing jingling noise that was the perfect melody for falling asleep to.

Snickering to myself, I hung my travel bag next to Edvrick's as I took a peek inside. The wizard's wand was still only a small fragment of wood entrapped in crystal. All the marbles glowed brightly as they rolled over each other. They housed strange articles which I wasn't so sure what they were. One looked like a bundle of cloth wrapped tightly together. Another few seemed to be a small humanoid figure in a fetal position.

I had asked Edvrick what these marbles were for and what were inside of them. All he did was shake his head sadly and say, 'A prison for evil things that are too dangerous to be left to their own devices'. That was the last time I asked.

I began to divide the berries from the juicy bugs inside my bag. Using some fallen leaves as dining plates, I prepared Edvrick's meal. The mound of berries rolled along the spidery veins of the leaf. Bearing the tray in my wings, I stood in front of my sleepy friend and calling out to him.