So Close To The End

Another day came and went. They were still many miles away from Planker's Creek, but Flint assured Samuel that they were nearing the end of their journey. Flint was relieved to see it end too. Not that he wanted to be rid of the minstrel. No. It was because of what happened last night at camp.

~~~

"Bats!" Flint had hissed.

The bird ordered his companions to stay low to the ground and not even breathe. Meanwhile, Flint dug a hole in the dirt and covered himself with gravel and a blanket after that. Bleak and Samuel, although ignorant of the danger on the way, did as they were told due to the uneasiness in Flint's voice.

Huddled underneath a second blanket alongside Bleak, Samuel did his best not to move a muscle. He just listened. At first he could only hear the yawning of the mounts who were doing their best to look like they were a simple troop of traveling animals taking a well needed rest.

Suddenly, there was the sound of fluttering wings that swirled from above. The nocturnal creatures screeched and listened to their voices bouncing back up at them. Through this method, they could perceive everything in the valley below. The bats fluttered just overhead for what seemed like a life time. Samuel once or twice gasped for air, but he quickly pressed his hand up against his mouth, praying that he had not been noticed. As quickly as the swarming bats had arrived, the creatures dispersed to scan other lands.

Eventually, Flint rose from his hole and cawed at his companions to reveal themselves.

"What was that all about?" Samuel asked. He dusted off the dirt from his shirt.

"Hopefully nothing," sighed Flint, but he scrunched up his beak tightly. "However, bats are notorious eavesdroppers. This gives them the perfect incentive for the spying profession. A human (or animal) hires them to scout out information or creatures for a fee. With their intricate language, they can easily be understood. I've dealt with them before. Although, they might be on a simple night flight, we must be cautious. We don't know who they're giving their information too. They could be working for one of my enemies."

Samuel had to ask, "Princess Tabitha?"

"Maybe..." The bird shook his head sadly. "But it could be anybody else out to get me. Who knows? It might be the Blood Bather or even that she-wolf seeking revenge. If not them, I have many others after me, Mr. Samuel. To many than I can name off to you. We must be careful!"

~~~

The threat of spying eyes above them caused Flint to spur the mounts along faster the next day. Even Rusha was forced to be a beast of burden. Although she growled and complained adamantly, the lion still obeyed the bird's commands. Thankfully for Samuel, the great beast carried Miss Bleak. Together, the animal and lady were a fearsome match that road across the rocky terrain.

Even though he was not riding the wild feline, Samuel still had much to be concerned about. The bird was still strict with Samuel regarding his swordplay. Flint dug his talons deep into the minstrel's scalp, guiding the human during the lesson. When the flute player tilted too far to the left, Flint pounded his right foot into Samuel's skull to help regain their balance on the rhinoceros they now rode since Shivver was taking a break. Samuel lost count how many times his heart leaped in fear every time his blade accidently went inches away near the giant beast's flickering ears. But luck seemed to be on his and the Rhino's side; the cold steel did not nick the creature.

Also, it seemed that Samuel, slowly but surely gaining his bearings of riding, was finding his skill with his long sword. It did not feel as heavy to him when he had first trained with it. He examined the blade as he used it. In a fine arts sense, he found the weapon to be expertly crafted. The glittering gold handle was beautiful to admirer as well as to hold. It fit perfectly in Samuel's hand almost like it was made just for him and not that he had picked it off a dead noble who luckily had the same palm size.

But that was ages ago. Samuel thought of himself as a much stronger and wiser person now. He had grown so much under the bird. A feeling of pride suddenly filled the flute player. Perhaps his presence also aided the crow in some fashion. Flint was whistling!

Immediately, the bird stopped. Flint grumbled and kicked his foot into the distracted minstrel's head.

"Hey there," cawed the crow. "Why aren't you swinging?"

As if awaken from a dream, Samuel went back to his lessons. "Oh! S-sorry. I got distracted. Mmm... COUGH! COUGH! Errr... Um... So I swing while rotating my shoulder and torso like this, correct?"

When the minstrel twisted his body and proceeded to take a mighty left stroke, a violent cramp in his chest suddenly came upon him. All of a sudden, Samuel felt horribly dizzy. He teetered in a circle around the back of the Rhino. He would have plummeted over if Bleak had not been there to save him from falling yet again. Regaining his balance on the creature, Samuel groaned and clenched at his heart. The sword in his other hand suddenly felt so heavy.

"Are you alright, Samuel?!" screeched Flint. The bird tenderly rubbed at the man's neck to revive him.

Samuel stuttered from his weakness. "Y-yeah. I lost my strength. B-but I'm much better now. W-we can keep going."

"Rest, Samuel!" Flint soothed the minstrel. "Rest... I think I overdid it and pushed you too hard. Overexertion isn't good for your heart. Let's stop for today. You're doing wonderfully, anyway. You've improved!"

Bleak agreed also, "Flint's right. You are becoming an excellent swordfighter, Samuel. I'm impressed, and that's no easy feat. Take a break. Once we get that worm out of you, I'll bet you'll be giving me a challenge on our next sparring session. But we won't get around to it if you hurt yourself... Please rest. We're so close to the end!"

Thankful for their kindness, Samuel gleamed at his two companions, sweetly.

"Rawrrr!" Rusha growled from underneath Bleak.

Suddenly, the brave beast staggered back causing the bartender to slip off the creature. The lion's ears slumped back, and her nose expanded and contracted in irregular intervals. She was afraid. What of, the two human's had no idea of.

Rusha was not the only one stricken with fear either. Shivver and the rhino also quaked. As if surrounded by a horde of savage carnivores, the rhino leaped, sending Samuel and Flint sky-high. The minstrel landed face first into a pile of rocks, giving him a bloody nose from the impact.

Dazed from the blow, Samuel watched in horror as their mounts dispersed in all directions like they were being viciously pursued. However, no one was around. All that could be heard was the sound of stones, large and small, being pushed by the flowing water in the creek.

"Something spooked them," Samuel said as if he were asking a question.

He gazed over to Flint for an answer. However, the bird was silent. Every muscle in his body tightened. Nervously darting his beak in every direction, the bird shivered. His eye boggled out of its socket. For a moment, Flint went for his rapier, but he suddenly gasped. Soon after, his wing fell limp by his side as if dead.

"G-gods!" Flint could scarcely speak. "Not now... Not again... Please don't let it be that fiend!"

Samuel was about to call out Flint's name in order to ask what was wrong, but the flute player was cut short.

"Flint..." a fluttery voice echoed across the orange and yellow valley. "Oh... Flint! Why do you cry, Flint? Aren't yah happy to see me again?! Oi, Flint? Don't be like that. You won't deprive me of my fun, would you? Hehe! Good ol' Flint the Crow. A tale of such sweet, sweet woe. How absolutely marvelous!"