Tiger-back Riding

"Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for me," Bleak said with a hardy laugh that caused the campfire to flicker, "Flint and I did cross paths again and again. Although he tried to stay away every time, I pestered him long enough that he finally agreed to stay in my Tavern... Then you came along." She said this with a sigh.

At first mesmerized at Bleak's tale, Samuel suddenly felt a pang of guilt for having brought the barmaid and Flint along on this journey to save his own skin. He grimaced and lowered his eyes to the rabbit meat he had been nibbling on since the middle of the story.

However, Bleak soothed the minstrel's concerns by adding, "It's not your fault, Samuel. I can't blame you for what happened." She nervously ran her finger up and down the skewer where her own rabbit hung. "Again, I thank you. You've helped Flint so much... Healing his spirit... That bitter soul of his... Thank you!" Bleak bowed her head low.

"It's my deepest pleasure that I could help, Miss." Samuel returned her bow.

With a smile, Bleak asked, "So I suppose once you get healed up at Planker's Cheek, you'll be on your own way?"

Samuel shrugged.

Bleak grinded her teeth together. She was having a debate within her mind. "I don't suppose you'd like to stay with us on our travels afterwards."

"Really?!" Samuel lifted an eye brow.

In a shaky voice, the barmaid continued, "Though I don't know what Flint's own destination will be after this, you may stay if you wish. If Flint agrees, that is. I won't disapprove of your company."

The minstrel grinned. Needing a moment to think, Samuel bit into the rabbit. Hot fat dripped down the side of his chin. He speedily whipped it off with his sleeve nervously.

"It'll be my pleasure," Samuel finally said.

Suddenly, Flint asked, "What will be your pleasure, Mr. Samuel?"

Sauntering into the cave while lively bobbing his head from side to side, the bird smirked at the minstrel and barmaid. His beak curled up suggestively. Sticking his tongue out and sliding it around in little circles, Flint laughed at the two humans.

"Oh don't you be getting any ideas!" Bleak shook her fist at the bird. "We were just talking about what's next after we see Surgeon Valentine. That's it!"

Flint mocked, "And here I was thinking that you two were already- Floop!" The bird made a vulgar gestured with his feather fingers that involved penetration.

Samuel turned red.

"You disgusting beast!" Bleak shouted.

She was so annoyed that she flung a blanket at the bird. However, Flint easily dodged it.

"Heh heh! In all seriousness though. You both should get some sleep. There's no time for a mating ritual." He waved behind him. "I managed to secure us transportation. After much deliberation, Rusha and her companions have begrudgingly agreed to be mounts for our journey. This is an honor, you two! So whatever you do, don't offend them. Especially Rusha. She nearly ate me alive for suggesting it."

"Y-you want us to ride on top of a lion?!" Samuel shuddered at the idea.

"A rhino for the first few miles, actually. Rusha still refuses to be a beast of burden for you. We'll see though. Our journey's long, and we'll need speed to gain back the time we've lost... What, Samuel? You afraid of felines or something?"

"No. I just don't want to impose on your friend."

"Well Rusha owes me. So no matter how reluctant she is to do so, she'll do it! Or would you rather not make it to the creek in time? Hmm?"