The Runt's Tale pt. 4

The Second was declared alpha soon after our son was born. His parents pasted on, one after the other, a few weeks later to their sickness; but they died in peace knowing that their line would remain.

Even though he didn't take his position as seriously as I would hope, The Alpha tried to be a just ruler. He was open to my suggestion and allowed me make many choices that would affect the entire wolf community. I became his only advisor. It was a thrilling responsibility, and I took it with the utmost wisdom and respect. Together, we brought the wolf pack peace and prosperity, something that had been missing for a long time.

With my help this gave The Alpha time to spend with his son. He would teach him how to read, write, speak like a human; and occasionally The Alpha would educate him on wolf culture; I had to beg my mate to do this. They spent so much time together that, I have to admit, I became somewhat jealous of their bond.

We did receive a great many rumors directed at us about The Alpha's lack of leadership and my takeover of his job. Although these rumors loomed over us nonstop, The Alpha took no heed to them. His time spent with our son drowned out everything else.

Instead, it was more of an issue that affected to me. Every time I heard the other wolves whispering about me I would feel a great shame enveloping over me. You see, my instincts were telling me that my place was with my son. Humans may not understand this but we wolves do. Instincts are a cruel ruler and they can never be overthrown.

~~~

When pups grow to maturity, they undergo an initiation process. It's a wolf tradition. Even a runt like me had to do it. The task itself is a simple process: go on a hunt with the pack and complete your first kill. A rabbit or even a rodent would do. It was only a trivial task to welcome the new wolf pup into the fold on their ten birthday. So when my son was of age, I was ecstatic and prepared for the big day by announcing throughout all the den my son's grand day.

But The Alpha was much less enthusiastic. As our son's ten birthday neared, I spoke to my mate while he and our son were reading a book together.

Clearing my throat, I wrote on the ground the words, 'You will take our son to the initiation?'

He rolled his eyes at my writings and licked his son behind the ear lovingly. To make my point, I tapped my paw next to the words and barked. Meanwhile my son nervously stared at the two of us. The fur on his back stood up. He knew that an argument was about to take place.

"I don't see the point of this stupid wolf tradition," muttered The Alpha. "What's the harm if we skip it all together? He's still too young."

The Alpha rubbed his son's head with his paw and snuggled him. This brought a frown to my face.

Again, I scribbled on the ground, 'Don't baby him. We've all had to undergo the trial hunt. Even I managed to complete it with only a scratch. Stop making this such an issue. He'll be fine. I want our son to have a great first hunt. Please my love, take him.'

At the words 'my love', The Alpha glared at me and huffed in anger. He nuzzled his son and thought for a moment. After mouthing out 'foolish wolf customs', he tapped his son on the belly and playfully hoisted the little pup into his powerful jaws. Giving me an annoyed expression, he left our living quarters with our son to prepare for the journey. I tilted up my nose, glad that my mate had seen things my way.

So I gathered a hunting party together for The Alpha to take the new Second on his mission. I watched with pride as the two I loved most in the world strode out of the den and into the forest. Not a thought crossed my mind that our son wouldn't return. But I was wrong. So terribly wrong...