The Runt's Tale pt. 8

The Omega and I painstakingly waited for a sign that the poison, we had secretly fed to The Alpha, was taking physical effect. However, my mate was as healthy as ever which made me anxious.

Once I attempted to watch as The Alpha partook of a meal of young moose meat that I have offered him a little too aggressively than I should have. With a growl he snapped at me, ordering me to leave him in alone in peace. I partially obeyed his orders, leaving the food behind, but I gawked from the corner of the room to peer at him as he pawed at the slab of raw meat. As his nose sniffed at the moose meat, my heart beat hopefully. Unfortunately, The Alpha then darted his eyes so fast that I had no time to turn away from them. He growled again and threw an old jawbone at my face which sent me barreling away in fright.

Later that day, I absentmindedly scribbled another few pages of my book which was steadily becoming thick with my life story. However, the words I wrote that day were unimaginative and rather dull. The thought of The Alpha figuring out my treachery caused my claw to shake about the paper. I was much too worried to write.

With a howl, I cast the pages away, sending them soaring. They eventually slammed against the dirt wall where they fell on the ground in a messy heap. At that same moment, The Omega had come to visit me. He vaulted and yapped at my outburst but quickly curled his lips to grin at me meekly.

Although his voice was soothing to my ears, I could not help but growl in agitation as he said to me, "Don't worry... l-love. The poison will work soon. We just need a little more patience. A few more days, and we'll be ready. Trust me."

'We do not have time,' I sliced through the dirt and slapped my paw on the ground causing a cloud of dust to flutter about my disheveled face. 'The Alpha knows something is wrong. He suspects me. I know it. He'll kill me and my child. I can't let that happen, you fool.'

Trying his best to comfort me by rubbing his wet nose over my own, the Omega reassured me, "It won't. It won't. The cruel Alpha doesn't know anything. Soon we'll be free of him."

'You won't let anything happened to me or the baby?' I asked, trying to keep myself from shaking.

"Of course not. I wouldn't let anything happen to the one I love. I wouldn't. I wouldn't!"

The Omega rested his neck on top of my head. This gave me strength, causing my worries to disappear from me entirely. Suddenly, a rush of lust cascaded through my heart. I immediately caught The Omega by the shoulders and dragged him down with me.

~~~

A few days later, The Omega's promises seemed to come to fruition. The Alpha's face was haggard and had a dark, sickly hue to it. The poison was taking effect. It had to be. And not a moment too soon, for my belly was growing fat and not even my attempts to conceal it would work anymore. Another week past; The Alpha looked worse than before. He staggered aimlessly about while groaning at the pain growing in his stomach. His belly was like an empty sack that sagged at each wobbly step he took. He couldn't go out hunting for the crow even if he wanted too.

Meanwhile, the Omega was preparing for his duel with The Alpha. He honed his physique and sharped his claws. Boasting of his skills to the pack, he helped feed the rumor that he sought to take his chance of seizing the throne through a one-on-one battle with the leader. These rumors buzzed throughout the den, giving The Alpha little chance to ignore the challenge. He would have to accept a fight to the death with The Omega or risk his leadership deteriorate. It was all coming together.

'It has to happen today,' I wrote to The Omega as he lazily lay on his back with an expression of lazy arrogance plastered across his face. 'Give The Alpha the ultimatum and seize the throne. Everyone is already wondering if I am with child. We must put a stop to The Alpha now.'