Eleanora and Aerris

Appearing around an iced-over, leafless tree, the group of ten marched towards Samuel and Aerris. Two of them Samuel recognized. Bleak and Flint, who was resting on her shoulder, were besides a company of woodland elves dressed in clothes of differing shades of green and grey.

Around some of their throats, they wore necklets of silver. In the center of the jewelry, a flat, black stone was melded to the precious metal. While the rock was rather plain against the silver, the stone did have a beautiful heart shaped rune etched on it that glowed bright red.

They had wood colored skin with dark grain marks that blemished their faces. Tall and slender, their bodies moved in an easygoing pace as their arms and hands swirling around like the limbs of a tree blowing in the wind. Their ears swiveled, like a fox or a hound's would, in the direction of the blue elf who looked back at them with his tearful eyes.

Samuel then noticed a small elven girl, of about twelve years in age, in the center of the company. Her face, having a light shade of blue, was pale and expressionless. Measuring a good five and a half feet in height, she stood straight and tall with her neck muscles clenched tightly like a motionless statue. Looking at Aerris weeping before her with Samuel sprawled out on the snow, the elf girl did not seem to show any kind of pity or fear. She just looked straight at Aerris like one would look at an ordinary stone wall, plain and boring.

As soon as the elf girl stepped forward, Aerris's countenance sunk instantly into a state of depression that shown from the stillness of his eyes. The sorrowful elf plummeted to his knees which caused a cloud of snow to burst up in the air. Looking to the ground, Aerris would not make eye contact with the blue elf girl staring down at him.

The girl turned around to face the other elves with a blank expression plastered over her face as if to ask what she should do next. Glancing at her with solemn looks, the elves gestured for her to keep her gaze in the direction of Aerris. She again moved her eyes to the blue elf as he weakly gaped back at her.

With a sad and wobbly voice, Aerris muttered, "I don't want to die... but... I must... Eleanora! Dear child! I never told you how much faith I had in you to be my successor. Be wise. Have the strength to rule the elves to the best of your ability." Aerris stared more intently at Eleanora as he cried even more. "I know now how blessed I have been to have had known you... Eleanora... You are wonderful elf child, and I hope you will understand how much I care for you."

"What do you mean Aerris?" Eleanora said in an unwavering voice with no hint of emotion.

Letting out a disappointed sigh, Aerris mumbled, "I love you my child! I know you don't truly understand what that means yet, but you will someday. And on that day remember that! It will help bring you peace. Do not forget to teach your successor to become an impartial leader who will make wise decisions. It-it pains me that I must leave you, but I can't stay! But be not afraid. Don't worry. You will do well without me."

"I am not afraid," Eleanora said quite bluntly. "I will follow all the knowledge you've instilled in me. Die in peace. I will protect the elves for you."

"No... You don't understand..." Aerris head slumped down at the girl's cold words. "Just know that I will always be with you, even though I'm gone. It's time... Please... End my suffering. Goodbye Eleanora!"

Lifting up his arm, the old elf pressed his shaking palm against his student's unwavering hand. A change in the weather traveled throughout Sickle Wood as the trees' branches gently swayed from the soothing wind. This serene breeze blew the two elves' hair around their faces as they continued to touch each other's hands while the crowd watched them.

Clouds of snow circled about their bodies as the two blue elves locked eyes. All the while, Aerris's expression was sorrowful; regret caused his cheeks to sag horribly. Eleanora, on the other hand, was emotionless. Her face would not move no matter how may tears dripped from her predecessor's eyes.