Flint's Second Tale pt. 13

There was a joyous skip to Nettle's step everywhere she went from that point on after the Gok temple spirit was defeated. As if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders, she raised her back with pride and kept her hands off the ground for longer periods than her animal like nature normally would allow.

Seeing her dance around with Edvrick caused knots to form in the deep recesses of my gut. It wasn't bad enough that the eerier voice in my head was still chattering inside of me. Nettle was getting on my nerves. This human made me want to puke.

And the way Edvrick smiled at her didn't help me either. It only made it worse. I remained silent as my friend and the human, hand in hand, danced across the auditorium. Their loud cheers echoed everywhere, leaving no corner of the room untouched by their irksome ruckus.

While clasping Nettle's arms, Edvrick spun around and noticed me brooding.

"Flint!" he cheered, attempting to lift my spirits. His hands were still grasping the human. "Why don't you dance with us? We've won the day again! It's time to celebrate."

"I ain't in the mood for cheerin'," muttered I, while slapping the side of my sore head.

"But there's no more need for sorrow, my feathered friend! We've saved the villagers with only one casualty..." Edvrick's joyful continence swiftly dissipated. "It was terrible for that human's life to end so gruesomely. I agree to that... However, we were quite fortunate in the way it turned out. The time for tears has ended. The vengeful spirit is sealed away and will never hurt another living soul again!"

"HUMAN SOUL!!!" I screeched; my tongue shot out. "The hawk will never hurt another human again, Edvrick!"

His face stiffened as he said, "Please, Flint. What have I told you about this hatred for others?"

"Hate? Ya' wanna talk 'bout hate to me? Look around Edv!! Can't ya see who made this awful place?"

My friend scanned the temple and answered sadly, "I see the hideous acts of someone who was blinded by his own hatred. That's what I see."

"Well, I see hundreds- no, thousands of my kin's remains scattered across this damn temple! And ya tried to keep that hidden from me! That hawk was only tryin' to show those villagers what it meant to be ripped apart like the animals their fathers and mothers killed! And you imprison him for that!"

"That's madness, Flint! You know that's not a reason to massacre an entire group of people based on what a few did in the past. Stop this unjustifiable anger you have towards humans. This hatred of yours is going to lead you somewhere very dangerous, Flint. Don't let it!"

Wincing at our raised voices, Nettle cringed. Edvrick, noticing her fear, speedily rubbed the side of her head with the back of his hand.

He then said. "Now I suggest we let this grim talk go. If you won't change your mind, then we better stop arguing and return back to the village in peace. Come Nettle."

With his arms wrapped around the human's shoulder, Edvrick led her away from the auditorium. He didn't even bother to see if I would follow. I scowled at Nettle, Edvrick, and the bag full of marbles jiggling on my friend's waist. The voice continued to murmur in my eardrums.

We returned to the labyrinth and found the fog drifting up into the air and disappearing up into the afternoon sun. Free from all hindrances, Nettle confidently guided us without once worrying about losing our way. And even if she did manage to do that, she'd only had to find the broken twigs and follow them to the exit.