The Runt's Tale pt. 7

The years pasted along with us traveling the lands in fervent search of the crow. Many in the pack were dying. Some had even fled in order to get away from The Alpha's tyranny. Our numbers were dwindling, yet few dared to demand The Alpha to cease his endless hunt. All those who did were immediately cast out of the pack.

Silently I watched as the females and males in our pack refused to mate since all their waking hours were spent obeying the commands of their leader. In just a few years, our packed had decreased from one-hundred strong to less than a few dozens. If we did not bare children, we would soon become extinct.

One day I brought this up to my mate. It grew into a heated argument that ended with me foolishly bringing up our son. With a howl, The Alpha stuck me again mercilessly. I scampered away, alone and afraid. Licking my wounds in a secluded corner of our new den, I sniffled and mourned my plight and the slow death of my friends and family.

It all seemed so hopeless. Pretty soon there would be no one left in our pack to carry our line. We could have been the last of the wolves in these lands, or even the world.

What kept me from losing all hope was my writing. This was the moment that I began the book that you are reading. Days I spent mulling over the entirety of my life and writing it down on these papers. It was the only thing I could do to keep our wolf history from dying out the same way we were doing.

I began writing my manuscripts alone. No one would understand, and what I wrote began taking the shape of insurrection against The Alpha. If my mate got wind of these notes, I was certain he would destroy them. So I hid them from everyone since I didn't know who I could trust in the pack.

Then the Omega showed up. I had noticed that every time I fled to my hiding spot The Omega would eyeball me from afar. He knew that I was hiding something, and he was desperate to find out.

I pushed away at the rock that stored my documents. Taking up parchments that I had found on our hunts for the bird, I slowly scrawled on my seventh sheet of paper. Suddenly, the sound of dust settling snapped my ears to attention. I growled at the dark corner, leading to main area of the den and demanded that the intruder show himself.

Nervously stepping out from the corner of the tunnel, The Omega sniffed at me. I bard my teeth, but didn't send him away. A low ranking wolf such as him couldn't do me any harm. The Alpha wouldn't believe a word he said. Either way, why would he talk? I knew what he really wanted.

With a roll of my eyes I allowed the wolf to come closer. He gazed at my writings and at me. His intrigue of the pages matched his lust for me. I kept my attention away from him and tried to concentrate. However, the fur on my back whiffled once The Omega took a seat directly in front. He was so close that I could feel the warmth of his fluttery breath. It felt so soothing against my snout.

"I-I saw The Alpha strike you the again," the Omega swiftly said, making sure to pour as much empathy out of his voice as he could muster. "Terrible! It is... It is... He shouldn't do such terrible things to the one he says he loves. I'd never dream of hurting someone... I loved. No! Never. A beautiful wolf maiden like you should be treated delicately. Like a dandelion, I'd be careful not to blow away its precious seeds to the wind... O-only until it wanted me too..." Suddenly, The Omega slowly extended out his sweaty paw intending to touch me.

Immediately, I took a swing at him and easily knocked his scrawny self on dirt. With a growl, I stood up on my feet and towered over the whimpering beast to show off my dominance. He wiggled underneath my paw and gazed up into my flaming eyes. The wolf was terror stricken and shook uncontrollably. Pitying him a little, my expression softened. I knew The Omega wasn't a threat to me.