Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Chance!" I exclaimed, before I was engulfed into a hug. His broad shoulders were at a comfortable height for me to rest my head. He squeezed the life out of me, before picking me up and swinging me around.

"Ah! I've missed you so much babe." He told me as he set me down on my feet. He still didn't let go, and I just clung on to him. After the day I had had, Chance was just the person I needed to see. While Brook and Eva would be great figuring out exactly what was wrong and providing stellar advice, Chance was always great at making me laugh no matter how I felt.

"Ahem!" A voice cleared their throat. I turned to find Seb looking at us, and I quickly realized that we were blocking the path up to the house. I stepped out of Chance's arms and tried to move aside but Chance just relaxed one arm behind me and stretched out his other arm.

"Hi, I'm Chance. Your Seb right?" Chance asked with a wide smile. The smile that girls usually swooned over - not that they ever had any shot with him.

I saw Seb's eyes darken, but there was absolutely no emotion on his face. Much to my relief he reached out and shook Chance's hand.

"Anastasia didn't mention she was having friends over." Seb commented with a special emphasis on the word 'friends', as he released Chance's hand. I slightly frowned at his use of my full name.

"Oh she didn't know I was coming." Chance turned to me with a smile. "Did you babe?" I blushed at that endearment. It was stupid really because Chance always called me that, but I knew that as soon as Seb heard it, he would imagine all sorts of things. Things I couldn't clear up without giving away Chance's secret, and there was no way I was ever going to do that.

I saw Seb eye Chance for a second before he turned to me. "I will be busy for the rest of the night. Carrie said your stuff has already arrived, but let me know if anything is missing." His face was a blank sheet, and his eyes were dim. I saw him waiting for me to move so I pushed away from Chance's arm and plaster myself against the hand rail so Seb could pass.

"Wow, he is intense." Chance commented once Seb was out of earshot.

I nodded at that and let Chance put his arm around me, as we walked into the house. I was excited to hear that Carrie was back and I really wanted to see her. Chance asked me to point him towards the bathroom as soon we we stepped in so I took him there before searching for Carrie.

I found her in the kitchen slaving over a stove. I smiled at that, she was always cooking or baking something.

"Carrie!" I yelled out stepping towards her. I wanted to make sure she heard me above the overhead fan, and the hissing of the oil.

She turned around with a shocked look, then quickly smiled. She walked towards me as she wiped her hands on a kitchen towel.

"My dear Ana!" She said as she reached over to give me a hug.

"It's good to have to back Carrie." I told her as she let go. "How is James' mother-in-law doing?"

"Oh she is fine. She is a tough old soul." Carrie tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and turned back to the stove. "I have to stir this to keep it from burning." She said picking up the cooking utensil once again. "I was great to see the little ones, but they are a handful and I missed you so much!" She turned to me with a bright smile. "I can't believe you are turning eighteen years tomorrow. Your mother would have been so proud of the woman you have become."

"I missed you too Carrie, and thank you." I told her. I didn't think my mom would have been particularly proud of me for kissing Seb back today, but obviously I didn't mention that.