Chapter 17

NOT EDITED

Chapter 17

"Oh good, she's awake." Came another voice, just as Seb had finished talking. I slowly turned my head towards the door to see a man walking towards me with a warm smile and blue eyes.

As he got closer I saw Seb move away to make room for him. The man leaned towards me and placed his hand over mine.

"Hi Ana, I'm Dr. Stark." He announced gently.

I smiled at him as best as I could. It felt like my body didn't want to do anything that I had asked it to.

"You have really pretty eyes." I told him observing the deep blue irises.

Those blue circles widened slightly and new twinkle entered them.

"Why, thank you." Dr. Stark said and then reached towards my neck. "I'm going to quickly feel around your throat okay?"

I nodded my head at him. "You can feel me anywhere." I told him, and narrowed my eyes. Had I really just said that out loud?

I heard a deep throaty laughter. "I see that there is a little anesthesia still running through you." I felt his warm fingers press against my neck.

"Everything feels great. Now let's take a look at your stomach okay?" Dr. Stark said straightening up.

I nodded once again, and tried really hard to keep my thoughts to myself. A nurse came beside me and gave me a smile before pulling a blanket up to my waist and then slowly pulling my gown up.

Dr. Stark gently pushed around the side of my stomach; it was so gentle that I barely felt anything at all.

I felt him pull my gown down and then he pulled a stool by me and sat down.

"Ana, I'm sure someone already told you but you've had a burst appendix. The appendix is an organ in our bodies that really has no purpose. Sometimes the appendix can get irritated due to many reasons and it can become inflamed. Usually there is an intense pain in the right side of the stomach as the appendix gets inflamed; there are also multiple symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If the inflamed appendix isn't taken care of it can burst and spread bacteria to the surrounding area. That's why happened in your case, though I'm surprised that you didn't feel any pain until it got to that point. The good news is we got you to the hospital in good time, and we managed to not only take the appendix out but also the cleared out all the bacteria. Once the anesthesia wears off we will give you some Motrin in your drip, and when you wake up we will be able to send you on your way. You should be able to leave in the next few days." Dr. Stark explained smoothly. I frowned at what I had just heard. I had my appendix taken out? I knew that Chance had his taken out a few years ago when he was at boarding school so I knew it wasn't serious. "Do you have any questions for me?" Dr. Stark asked smiling down at me.

I shook my head and smiled. "Thank you." I told him, he did pretty much just save my life.

Warmth filled his face as he rose to his feet. "You're welcome. Now I will have the nurse bring in the aftercare instructions." Then he raised his brow as if a thought just occurred to him. "You will be sore for a while after you return home, I am guessing you have someone to stay with you?"

Before I had a chance to answer Seb jumped in, I had almost forgotten that he was in the room. Oh gosh he had seen the doctor pull up my gown. Instantly I felt thankful to the nurse who had pulled the blanket up on me because I knew I was only wearing underwear.

"I'll be with her." He announced to the doctor.

The doctor looked at him and nodded. "Great. Well take care Ana, I'll come by later to check up again but feel free to call if you have any questions or concerns."