Part 13

Later that very same night I sat at a Tattoo parlor owned by an older Mercenary named Tool. Tools was a pretty ok guy, kind of quirky but a good man. It was a quaint little palace and currently I was sitting on a faded red couch next to Barney and Ceaser as we celebrated the successful mission. We laughed and told stories while drinking beer the whole time. The rest of the team were good with the fact that I was going to be staying with them.

I was also very pleased, it felt nice to have family again, even if they were just four crazy mercenarys and a stoic leader that I kind of had a crush on.

I watch as Tool and Lee had knife throwing competition where they aimed at a strange looking target. It was funny to watch the two men going back and forth. Sometimes having Lee win and the sometimes Tool would win.

I also enjoyed also enjoyed our frequent jokes about each other. We would make fun of Toal Roads ears or maybe poke fun at Gunnar being Swedish. Plus Barney was a little bit of a different guy when he had four beers in his system. He acted far more laid back and less robotic and stoic.

Soon however, when I was close to midnight the boys started to Leave. Lee was first saying her had to go meet up with his girlfriend Lacey. Barney told me that they were kind of an on and off thing.

When the rest of the team left it was just me and Barney.

" So uh Barney I guess I should get going" I said standing up, setting down my beer. Barney rose a brow and almost looked disappointed.

" You don't have a place to stay though" Barney pointed out standing up and looking down at me. I shrugged. " Unless you have an extra room here then I will find somewhere, I don't want to make you sleep on the couch" I said back with my southern accent coming out a little.

"We do actually, Toll will let you stay though. You might have to pay a little bit of rent like I have to. There's no bed in there yet though" Barney explained obviously not wanting me to just leave and have to figure it all out on my own. I mean living here did sound so bad especially because I would be close to Barney.

" I'll be fine sleeping on the couch Ferris" Barney added.

"No this is your home I won't do that" I replied stubborn. Unfortunately, Barney was just as stubborn as I was. " Ferris I will not allow you to just leave. I know you can take care of yourself but it's nearly midnight, just stay a night and catch some sleep" Barney suggested and I sighed figuring that any further arguing would be futile.

"Fine" I said finishing the argument and Barney smirked triumphantly. I guess he was happy he was sleeping on the couch.

He brought me up to his room and also showed me the empty room that only had a few dusty cardboard boxes in it but was completely inhabitable aside from that. It was actually a decent deal. I mean I could easily afford any hotel or apartment but none beat the simplicity of this place.

" Here it is" He said gesturing to his room that was rather basic with a dress, closet, a black bed spread, and a small desk.

" Thank you Barney" I said smiling but not looking up at him feeling...... nervous. I had felt nervous before but never really because of someone else.

" It's no problem. Good night" Barney said looking at me and then turned to leave.

" Barney?" I said out loud looking up at him not really wanting him to leave. I stepped towards him as he looked at me expectantly for me to say something. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him. Putting a hand on his shoulder for stability and after a second of surprise he kissed back.

I didn't feel fireworks or butterfly's now. No I felt something far more strong than that. That same warm feeling spread over my body as I kissed him. Like taking a bubble bath after going out into the snow.

After a couple more seconds I pulled away not looking him in the eyes.

" Thank you Barney" I said before walking away towards his room. I wasn't really just thanking him for letting me sleep there, or that he had saved my life. It was because he made me feel whole again.

Barney continued to stand there surprised before walking off in almost a daze. It made me smile. Obviously he wasn't used to having feelings for anyone either.

I quickly brushed my teeth, combed out my hair, and then snuggled up in the black sheets of Barneys bed. It smelt like black licorice and freshly mowed grass. It smelt pretty good but that last thing I thought before falling asleep was that that was how Barney smelled.