Chapter 4- Phone calls

AJ Lee's POV
Two weeks later

"No, no please, don't do this!" I protested to the woman standing in front of me. Stephanie just continued to stay completely still, emotionless.

"I'm sorry, AJ, but we're going to have to let you go," she said. I dropped to my knees and started begging and pleading.

"I'll do anything, just please, let me keep my job! Stephanie, I live for this company, please, don't, not like this!" I was crying, yelling, banging my fists the floor.

"We just can't keep you in the WWE, in concern for your health," Stephanie said. I looked up at her. She started fading away from my vision, falling into blackness, until only I remained, jobless and sobbing.

I then heard the faint sound of footsteps getting louder and closer towards me. I looked in the direction of the footprints to see solid black boots inching closer.

I looked away from the floor and towards the person's face. CM Punk stood above me, full in wrestling attire, looking down at me. I tried to stand up, but ended up falling onto my back, which resulted in me backing away from him with my hands. This, however, didn't help me much for Punk just walked closer towards me until he was almost on top of my Chuck Taylor's.

I looked at Punk as a devious smirk formed on his lips. He then got on his knees and held my arms down with his hands so I couldn't squirm away. He leaned his face in very close to mine. I was now forced to look dead into his eyes.

"You have nothing now, AJ," he said to me. "What else is there? Your job, your dignity, your secrets, what else is there?"

I closed my eyes. "I-I-I don't know."

CM Punk leaned closer towards my face. "That's right. There's nothing. Nothing..."

My eye shot open and I clutched my bed sheets close to me as my nightmare came to an end. I was breathing quickly and I could feel small droplets of sweat on my forehead.

Another nightmare. These had started becoming more frequent, but there wasn't really anything I could do to stop them. Like most pills, when I took Lamictal I also got the side effects that came with it.

Luckily for me, the side effects I usually encountered weren't too harmful or severe. Sometimes I had blurred vision or bad balance, but those didn't bother me too much. The ones that gave me the most trouble were the vivid dreams and nightmares.

The one I'd just experienced really set me off. The reason I never told anyone about my pills in the first place was so no one would question my health, so no one would worry about me and what I could and couldn't handle.

And then, just to make matters worse for me, Punk had to be in it. Not only was he in it, he was practically tormenting me. I knew that if word ever got out about me, CM Punk would be the one behind it. I didn't know exactly what he wanted or what he had to gain from finding out about the Lamictal, but I assumed it wasn't for good intentions.

I turned my head over to my bedside table and looked at my alarm clock, which read 4:34. I was wide awake and I didn't want to take a risk trying to go back to sleep and slipping into another nightmare. I sat up and hugged my knees to my chest, looking around at all the darkness surrounding me.

What was I going to do? I knew for a fact that if there was one thing CM Punk was bad at, it was keeping his mouth shut. But I also knew that he was good at keeping secrets when he wanted to. Punk isn't exactly a person that takes bribery, so I guess everything just depends on what he thinks of me.

I knew, thought, that one thing I couldn't do what let him get more evidence. I had to stop taking the pills to work, which meant I couldn't take them at work, which would be a bit challenging for me. The pills kept me stable, something I wasn't very good at on my own. But I knew it had to be done.

I buried my my head further into my knees. Sometimes, especially times like these when I woke up after a nightmare, I wondered if maybe Punk or Dolph or John or any of them would have held me close and comforted me after I'd been through a bad dream. I knew a lot of the divas probably didn't have to think like that, for their boyfriends probably did it already, but I wasn't like them. In a lot of ways.

Maybe that's why I'd never really had a successful relationship before. because I wasn't a typical diva. I didn't have designer dresses and four hundred dollar shoes. I didn't walk red carpets and all that. I read comics and wore Chuck Taylor's.

I recognized the fall of confidence in my personality rather quickly. Maybe it was time for a pill.

_____