Chapter 20- Love

AJ Lee's POV

Night after Battleground

I'd only been on the road for three weeks and I'd already been booked for every Smackdown, Raw, and Live Event on the schedule. I hadn't seen Punk since I left because I was always working. And, when I wasn't doing that, Paige was constantly wanting me to travel around with her.

It was weird. Paige was treating me like a friend, even after I humiliated her by taking the Diva's Title. Since I don't exactly have lines of people wanting to be my bestie, I'd befriended her and she'd been almost attached to my hip. She always wanted to room with me, constantly boasted about how close we were, and kept inviting me to the roster parties. Paige was even paying for shots and drinks for the two of us, even though I almost always turned them down due to the fact that A) I was a total lightweight and B) being around Punk had corrupted my brain.

Tonight, I was teaming with her in a tag match. And god she was excited. She'd been smiling ever since she arrived at the arena despite the fact that I beat her last night. Maybe she was just happy to even be getting a title shot, I don't know. Regardless, it was nice to have a friend.

I finished lacing up my converse and picked my diva's title belt up off the locker room bench. Ironically enough, ever since I apologized for my actions, the girls were being a lot nicer to me. Well, a few of them at least. Naomi, Natalya, Layla, and Emma had accepted me back into the diva's division while the rest of the girls kind of hated me. Nikki hadn't really talked to me since the poor thing spent most her time either in the infirmary or hiding in John's locker room, so her opinion on me was sill unknown.

As I stood from the bench, Paige ran right up to my side. "Really for our tag match?" She asked, linking arms with me.

"Yep," I said. Paige smiled and hugged me. I hugged her back before she released me.

"Imma go to catering and get a bite to eat. Hungry?"

"No, I'm good, thanks though," I replied.

"Ok, I'll catch up with you before the match," Paige said, walking out of the locker room door. I smiled to myself before pulling my phone out of my pocket and opening up a familiar text thread.

You watching tonight?

I pressed send and waited for the second city saint to respond. Seconds later...

No. Going to the AP Music Awards. I'll try to contact you when they're done.

I sighed. I hadn't gotten to see Punk in almost a month. And I... I missed him. I missed his warm embrace and comforting words and hazel eyes. He was my rock and I needed him with me.

God, listen to me. Turning into a bloody sap.

Shoving my phone into my bag, I looked at the belt that was over my shoulder. Power, glory, and success all piled into one object.

And it was all mine. Where it belonged once again.

_____

It happened too fast for me to even process.

One second I was celebrating a tag team victory with Paige, the next I'm yanked backwards by my hair to the floor. I hit my head hard on the matt, hard. Being thrown through the ropes, against the barricade, and into the ring post only sent more hot pain through my veins. As I was thrown over the announce table, my body officially gave out. I could feel myself start to hyperventilate as my forehead throbbed against my hand. I felt myself start to fade into darkness...

Then, one of the medics rushed over and kneeled down next to me. After seeing my state, he grabbed my arm, wrapped it around his shoulders for support, and gently helped me to my feet. I don't even remember the walk to the backstage area.