1. Prologue

Dedicated to hepburnettes for her AMAZING story: Cherry Knots. Please do vote for her for the wattys 2013 for Most Popular Short Story! She's also the author of my favorite wattpad novel: Here to Stay, which has filled me with so much emotion. Do check that out along with Cherry Knots and VOTE FOR HER for Most Popular Short Story! 

Picture on side is prevous cover! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Get up, loser.”

“Yeah. Get up, loooser.”

Those were the voices of Madison and her followers. Everything that came out of her glossy red lips would be repeated a couple seconds after in a singsong tone by her worshippers, who might have also had the same glossed lips. I was too sore to notice.

I lay on the floor of the girls’ bathroom covered with a sticky substance. The stickiness was probably a mix of my blood, grime from the bathroom floor, and toilet water. I felt disgusting, but now was obviously not the time to gag and scrub myself down in the shower. I let my wet toilet-watered hair dangled over my face as I made an attempt to get up from the spot on the floor. I slipped a few times and grimaced from the pain in my stomach and esophagus as I fought back the urge to vomit. I bit down hard as I tried to get up, once again. The taste of iron filled my mouth as my teeth punctured my fragile tongue. Before I could manage to get up all the way, a sharp, aching pain went through my right shoulder.

“Oops. My foot slipped. Why don’t you try again?”

“Why don’t you try again?”

I groaned in pain as I tried to get up once again. My malodorous hair, once again, got in the way of my vision and wet the already slippery floor in front of me even more. I used my hands as support and pushed myself up. I felt my hips disconnect from the floor it was attached to and a flash of relief spread across my face. That relief, however, was ephemeral as my hand was soon crushed underneath a sharp, bloodstained heel.

“Aren’t these heels wonderful?”

“What do you want, Madison?” I managed to choke out a question to the girl above me. My eyes widened in surprise at the sound of my voice. It was raspy and harsh sounding, as if I was a heavy smoker of 40 years. My throat was in severe pain as if I swallowed pushpins and thumbtacks. Before I could make another statement, a similar sharp pain shot through my other hand.

“What do I want? Hmm … I want you gone.” She was now standing, balanced on my hands.I gaped at the figure wearing the five inch stilettos towering over me.

“W-why…?” I croaked. Now it was her turn to look at me. Her golden locks of hair fell softly on her face as she looked down. What she did next was unprecedented. She laughed. Not just any laugh, but a blood-chilling, emotionless laugh. I looked at her in terror. She shot me a look of animosity and rancor that managed to reach the depths of my soul. Then her expression changed from one of antipathy to one of indifference.

“Just because.”  And with that, she lifted one of her heels from my hand on the grimy bathroom floor and swung it at my face. The world went black.

My eyes slowly opened only to be squeezed shut again in response to the illuminated room.

“Doctor! Get the doctor, honey! She’s awake!”

I groaned and tried to open my eyes again. Squinting, I was able to make out a figure in front of me. It was my mother. Her face possessed an expression of concern and worry. The bags under her eyes were drooping from fatigue and from crying.