8. First Defeat

“DANIELLE LOUISE DAVIS. GET BACK DOWN HERE.” So much for sneaking upstairs.

“Hi mom.” I smiled sheepishly at her.

“WHERE WERE YOU LAST NIGHT?” She sank down into her chair but the anger did not subside. “Well?”

“I’m sorry, mom. My friend invited me to a party and things got out of hand so I had to stay at a friend’s house overnight. I’m sorry for not calling.”

She nodded in understanding and then turned to look at me. She absorbed my outfit before continuing, “What are you even wearing? You wore THAT to the party?”

“Yeah… I’m sorry, mom. I’ll be more careful from now on.”

“What’s done is done.” She sighed and rubbed her temples. “I just wished you’d have called to tell us you were okay. We were worried, honey.”

“I’m sorry, mom. I’ll be sure to call next time.”

“Next time?”

“I mean next time I stay out late. I’m not going to parties again, mom.”

“Okay. I trust your word. Just let us know where you are at all times, okay?” She came over and pulled me into a tight embrace. “We love you and care about you, sweetie. Don’t make us worry too much. It’s good that you have friends that want to party with you but … keep it safe. Please.”

I returned the hug, “I will mom. I’m sorry for worrying you and dad.”

At school.

“Hey.” Daniel pulled a chair and sat down next to me. We were in the library and I was studying.

“Hey.” I looked up from my book to study him. He was wearing a white t-shirt with a black hoodie over it and jeans. “Thanks for everything on Saturday. Really.”

“Don’t mention it. I was glad to help.” He smiled at me and my heart skipped a beat. I was head over heels for sure.

“So I wanted to talk to you about something.”

“Hit me.”

“Remember what you told me …at the planetarium?” Oh no. Not this. Not here. He was going to reject me again. What if he files a restraining order against me and orders the FBI and CIA to send me to antarctica and let the polar bears at me and-

“Danielle?”
“Oh sorry. Yeah I do.” I tried to seem calm, cool, and collected. I don’t think it was working.

“Well …” He kept his eyes attached to mines to look for any change in expression. “I told you that … I couldn’t like you back.”

I felt my heart stop as I nodded slowly. Here it comes.

“Well I guess it would do me more justice if I told you why?” I nodded again, not wanting to say anything, not knowing what to say. “When I was eight, my mom left my dad. They didn’t have a divorce or anything. She just left. Packed up her bags and left my dad. He cried for days. It was the first time I saw him cry in the eight years that I’ve been alive.” He took a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair again. “So I guess that made me lose trust in women. Since my own mother couldn’t love my dad forever, I thought it would be the same for all other women. If they couldn’t love me as much as I loved them, why should I waste my time. I guess that’s what made me such a player.” He looked into my eyes and held my gaze as he continued speaking. “But that changed when I met you. You came into my life and changed me. You changed my opinion of women and I think you’re one that I can trust.” He kept staring at me with his mesmerizing grey orbs. He started leaning in closer and closer until our lips were touching. It wasn’t forced. It was gentle. His lips grazed mine at first and after he felt me relax next to him, he put his arm around my waist and pulled me closer. It felt real. It felt great and I loved every moment of it. I put my hand at the back of his neck to pull him closer to me as our lips locked in tight positions, dancing to the beat of our hearts.