13. First Dinner

Dedicated to chellefillion45 for an awesome read, Spin the Bottle! If you have time you should definitely go check it out, it's awesome! It's still ongoing so more fun to come! 

------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, sweetie.”

“Hi mom.” She sat down on my bed beside me. “What’s up?”

“Sweetie remember that … boy?” She scrunched her eyebrows in thought. “What was his name again?”

I smiled at her. “Daniel?”

“Oooh! Yes! Danny and Dani!” She squealed and we both laughed together. Once we were calmed down she continued. “Your father and I wanted to invite him over for dinner this weekend. Can you ask him if it’s okay?” I must’ve looked scared because she quickly added, “Oh no honey! It’s nothing big! We just wanted to get to know him better! Is that okay with you?” She had an expression of worry and regret for asking.

“Oh no, mom! It’s completely fine! I’ll ask him tomorrow when I see him.”

A smiled appeared on her face. “Great. Tell me how it goes, okay?”

“Sure, mom. Night.” I kissed her on the cheek and she did the same to me before walking out of my bedroom door. I wonder how Daniel will react. I hope he doesn’t mind.

“Daniel!” The tall figure turned around from his locker, flicking his dirty blonde hair out of his face. When he saw me, he smiled and opened his arms. I jumped into the welcoming arms and he spun me around. I was giggling and he was smiling like a cheshire cat. To anyone else, this might have made us look crazy. To people who knew about us, they might’ve thought it was cute.

“Hey Danielle,” he said, still holding onto my waist. “What’s up?”

“Well…” I broke out of his arms and looked down at my feet. I didn’t think this through enough. What if he gets scared and runs away? How should I ask this? I looked back up to Daniel and he had a worried expression on his face. Oh no! I misled him! What if he thinks I’m going to break up with him! What if he gets mad and storms off? What if-

“Danielle?” He held my shoulders. “Are you okay? What did you want to tell me?”

“I-I-uh I …” He looked at me with worried eyes. I couldn’t do this to him for any much longer. Darnit! Spit it out, Danielle! “Mymomwantsyoutocomeoverfordinnertonight.”

“What?” He laughed. “Say that again and calm down. I won’t bite.” I sighed a breath of relief before he added, “Yet.” I smacked his arm and he laughed.

“My mom wants you to come over for dinner. Tonight.”

“Oh okay.”

“Okay?” I was surprised he took it so easily. “Okay? That’s it?”

He frowned. “Did you want me to say something else?”

I looked up in thought. “I don’t know. I just thought you’d be more freaked out about it and I was worried you’d get scared and run off-”

“Run off?” He guffawed. “Danielle, please. I’m a manly man.” He flexed his muscles to prove it. I couldn’t help but admire his arms as the muscles were begging to be released from his sleeves. Noticing I was staring for a bit too long, Daniel said, “Take a picture. It lasts longer.” I gaped at him and he winked, earning him another smack on the arm. “Violent! Danielle, you’re so violent!” He put his forefinger and thumb on his chin. “I might reconsider our relationship if you’re this violent…” My heart sank at those words and I stopped. I stared at him wide eyed and mouthed. How could he just say that? Did our relationship not matter to him? I was on the verge of tears and I turned away from him to walk away.