CHAPTER 8

We go to a campsite on the outskirts of our county for the evening and I gather wood as Dylan sets up his blind by the trees. We lay a large blanket behind the blind and place our other blankets on top to cushion the ground. Soon the fire is roaring and we eat some prepackaged food as we sit by the flames. After Nick falls asleep, Dylan pulls out a wind up AM/FM radio. The first few times he winds it, there's nothing but static, but he's determined to find something.

Finally a broadcast breaks through the static and we brace ourselves for the update. "This evening we have a devastating update, the groups of soldiers are moving into the Midwest and moving quickly. Unfortunately, they are not taking any prisoners that we have heard. They are killing all that are in the towns and suburbs. Get out and away from them as quickly as you can. If your neighbors do not have access to this broadcast, please advise them to leave. The last report of the whereabouts are just to the west of the Mississippi River and continuing westward to meet with the groups in the west. Once the western groups came to the desert they have slowed and met more resistance. The groups are dispatching for more soldiers to get help as citizens from the desert communities are decimating their numbers. Please seek out shelter in mountainous terrain, again they are not acclimated to these areas. We have the advantage on these grounds. We will continue this broadcast as long as we are capable." Like a colony of ants descending upon a picnic, they're surrounding each city, town and suburb and just keep coming.

Dylan's voice is strong, but tainted with fear, "We won't be able to outrun them like this, Lena. We have to get to the mountains, but we're going to have to make it on foot starting tomorrow. We have to avoid being seen on the main roads and in the towns. The groups are coming to meet in the middle of the country."

Dylan looks at Nick and we both know this will be the hardest thing we have to do with him. Tears fill my eyes and I nod in agreement as we decide to stay away from civilization, leaving the truck and the bulk of our stuff in the morning.

                                                                                            *

Dylan and I work together to get the gear gathered at sunrise and Nick plays in the morning rays thinking this is just an adventure to be on like Finn and Jake. He smiles as we enter the field, trekking our way to the large purple mountains in the distance, his wide eyes taking in the scenery in astonishment.

As the day wears on, Nick is becoming tired and cranky. "Daddy, when we can go home? I wanna go play with my toys and my friends." Nick asks innocently as we stop to rest under some trees after a long hike.

Dylan pats him on the head and sits on the large roots of a tall oak tree, "We can't go home yet, son. We have some stuff we have to do, then we will go home."

He turns his attention on me, "I wanna go home and eat some cookies mommy."

This is killing me inside. We love doing small things together. I want so badly to scoop him up and take him back home and bake those cookies, cherishing those memories with him. I turn my head away and nod as I hide my stinging, tear-filled eyes.

He looks back warily at his father, "I wanna watch cartoons daddy."

Dylan looks at the ground, throwing a stick into the leaves, "I know, son. I know."

After we rest for a while, we go on just a little bit farther before Nick begins the questions again. Answers are now sounding like a rehearsed script that Dylan and I take turns reciting. Trying to shield the pain of hiding the truth from him.

This time, it is my turn, "We'll go home as soon as we can. I know you want to go play. As soon as we get home, you can. No, I don't know how much longer it will take. Cookies do sound good. Hey! Let's go see if we can find some animals or bugs." I point out some rocks he can move to uncover creepy, crawly treasures. He's distracted into a new adventure and we achieve a small break from the questions, knowing they will come again soon.

He finds a large caterpillar on the ground and starts poking a stick at it, giving a shrill of excitement as it curls and writhes from the poke. Dylan looks at him and grins as he walks toward a small stream to refill the canteens and catch a few fish before the sun goes down. I gather wood for a small fire to heat the water and cook. Nick has found some dry grass to help kindle the fire and we all work together to make this as normal as possible.

Dylan and I clean and dress out the fish, skewering them on long sticks to lay over the fire. As the sky darkens and the stars come out we sit quietly and listen to the sounds of the night around us. My MP3 has recently died and the scurrying of the nocturnal animals in the area around us coupled with the gentle, monotonous song of the crickets and frogs are our music tonight. The water from the stream is hypnotic, comforting.

This is a foreignactivity for us, to be peaceful together. We turn and smile at each other in this moment. This invasion has brought us together again, and we have found peace. We decide to keep watch on shifts to listen if anyone approaches us since we are out in the open. We've not had another update since we left our other belongings at the pickup. The closer we get to the mountains the less reception our radio gets. Dylan assumes the first shift and will wake me in a couple of hours.