Two Shades Of Love {13}

Owen jumped up and dropped his beer. He ran to the edge of the pool as JJ, Milo, and Gabe swam towards the deep end. Owen looked in and dove in, swimming towards the bottom. We watched anxiously as he grabbed Pat and pulled him up to the surface.

                Pat was clearly unconscious. Owen dragged him over to the edge of the pool and Max and Noah lifted him out. We all hopped out of the pool and surrounded him.

                “Pat? Pat!” Owen cried in panic and shook him. He coughed weakly and relief exploded on all our faces. “Pat, get up,” Owen said gently. Pat slowly opened his eyes and coughed. Owen helped him roll over and rubbed his back as he choked out water.

                “What happened, Patrick?” Owen asked once Pat had stopped choking. “I…I blacked out while we were playing chicken,” he whimpered. His eyes suddenly got terrified. “Dad…I can’t…I can’t remember. I…we played chicken…but…I can’t remember…what happened…” he began to stutter and Owen hugged him tightly and stroked his hair.

                “Sh, you’re okay Pat,” he soothed and stood up with Pat in his arms. “I’m going to take him home. Gabe, call me when you guys are ready to leave,” he said to us. Gabe nodded and gave Pat a concerned look.

                “I hope you feel better, Pat,” Max said quietly. Owen carried Pat away and Gabe and I looked at each other in fear. Oh god. Poor Patrick.

                                                                                ***Milo’s POV***

                We watched Owen carry Pat away and everything got awkwardly silent. “Go on and swim, you dorks,” Noah said, breaking the silence. He walked over and shoved JJ into the pool with a smirk.

                “Gah! You ass!” JJ whined, spitting out water. “Hey! Language!” Max snapped. JJ rolled his eyes and motioned for Felix, Gabe, and I to get in the pool. We jumped in and began to splash around, playing sharks and minnows.

                “Do you guys think he’s okay?” Gabe asked nervously as we began to throw rings to the bottom of the pool to retrieve. “It was just a blackout. Connor used to get those too,” JJ said with a slight shrug, but his eyes looked a little troubled.

                JJ jumped on my back and I steadied him and began to glide around the pool. “Yea JJ! Ride him!” Noah cheered and JJ rolled his eyes. “My dads are so freaking weird,” he grumbled and kissed my cheek as I continued to glide around with him.

                Gabe and Felix left a while later and I went home not long after. The next day, I got a ride to JJ’s and he let me inside. “Do you mind going to the Cash’s house? I want to make sure Pat’s okay,” he said and I nodded and kissed him.

                Max drove us to the Cash’s house and Gabe let us inside. “How’s Pat?” JJ asked as we went upstairs. Gabe sighed and shrugged helplessly as he led us to Pat’s room.

                We went in his room. Owen was sitting next to him. He looked up at us and brought a finger to his lips, signaling for us to be quiet. “I came to check on him and he had fallen asleep,” he whispered. He kissed Pat’s forehead and got up. We left Pat’s room and he gently shut the door. “He’s running a slight fever, but I think he’ll sleep it off,” he said with a shrug.

                “Uncle Owen, were you scared?” JJ asked quietly. Owen stared at him like he was crazy. “My son was drowning. Of course I was scared!” he cried.

                “Yea. Dumb question,” JJ mumbled and I laced my fingers with his, giving his hand a squeeze. He glanced at me then down at his feet.

                Gabe bit his lip. “Dad, do you think he blacked out because he was sick?” Owen shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know what happened yesterday. All I know is that you guys need to keep an eye on him when you’re with him in case it happens again,” he said and ruffled Gabe’s hair affectionately.

                Owen left and went downstairs and we all went into Gabe’s room. We sat down and JJ kissed me deeply and wrapped an arm around me. “You okay?” I asked and he nodded. “Yea. Just worried about Pat,” he mumbled and kissed me again.

                “I hope he’s okay,” Gabe said nervously. “He was so pale when I got home yesterday. He was really scared.” JJ laughed dryly. “Well, he almost drowned in my pool,” he pointed out and Gabe sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

                “But at least he’s okay,” Felix said eagerly and we all nodded. JJ sighed and stood up. “I need a cigarette,” he grumbled and moved towards Gabe’s door. I got up and followed him out. We walked out of the house together silently.

                JJ stood at the side of the house where he wouldn’t be seen, and lit himself a cigarette, taking a deep drag and blowing the smoke out with a troubled look in his eyes.

                “JJ, you know I hate it when you smoke,” I said and he wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close. “Sorry. I’m just worried about Pat,” he mumbled. But the look in his eyes was worrying me. He was hiding something from me.