Two Shades Of Love {27}

I fell to my knees and clutched my head as I tried to take a minute to figure out what the hell was happening. I looked around and saw Pat sitting on top of Milo, violently throwing his fists at him.

                Milo had stopped screaming and was now trying to fight Patrick off. “Pat! Get off him!” I cried, realizing he had probably snuck up behind us and punched me in the head.

                He wrapped his hands around Milo’s throat, squeezing. Milo struggled to get Pat off him, his face starting to turn a disturbing shade. I jumped on Pat and knocked him off of Milo, trying desperately to restrain him.

                “Milo! Go get Gabe!” I cried as he choked weakly. He stumbled to his feet. “If you get my brother, JJ will be dead by the time you get back!” Pat threatened, getting a hold of my throat and squeezing tight enough to make me wheeze for air.

                “Pat, get off him! Please!” Milo croaked. “Pat,” I managed to wheeze out, giving him a desperate look. My best friend had to be in there somewhere. The best friend that would never hurt me.

                But he was almost completely gone, and I was painfully realizing this as that insanely crazy look exploded in his eyes more and more with each passing second. Now the look in his eyes was even murderous. Pat would really kill me if Milo left to get Gabe.

                “Pat, you need to let JJ go,” Milo begged and cleared his throat, coughing. “Why should I? He picked you over me! You got me sent to that place JJ! You, my dad, and Milo! You don’t know what I went through!” he shrieked.

                “Pat, we’re sorry! Please get off JJ!” Milo cried desperately. “I’ll kill you, JJ. Then you can be alone in the dark. Do you know what that’s like? To be alone screaming in the dark? I do. I feel it every fucking day. And no one ever saved me, so no one will save you,” he hissed and tightened his grip on my throat, cutting off my air supply. I struggled desperately to fight him off, but he was too strong.

                “No!” Milo screamed and flung himself at us. He slammed into Pat. Pat lost his grip on my throat just long enough for me to suck in a breath of air before his hands closed around my throat again.

                “Now you can be scared and alone in the dark!” he wailed, his voice suddenly sounding like that of a frightened child’s. Terror and guilt struck through me at the same time as his hands began to tighten and cut off my air supply again. We had let this happen to him. We had seen his mental health deteriorating, and we had ignored it. Pat had always been scared of the dark. Absolutely terrified. Was that why? Did he lose himself when he was alone in the dark? Did the monsters that we were all scared of when we were kids truly exist? Had they taken the Pat we had all known and loved?

                “Pat…you’re not alone…” I managed before I had no air again.

                “Patrick!” Milo cried and wrapped his arms around Pat’s neck, forcing him off of me. They rolled onto the ground together and Pat let out a scream that sounded both furious and terrified at the same time.

                He spun around and struck Milo with such force that even I winced. Milo let out of cry of pain as he fell to the ground. “Curb stomp, mother fucker,” Pat growled, positioning his foot over Milo’s face. “No!” I cried and scrambled to my feet as Pat brought his foot down.

                Milo threw his arm up to protect his face and Pat brought his foot down on it. Milo let out another scream of pain.

                I threw Pat off of Milo as I heard Gabe and Felix crying out to us. I looked up and saw them racing up the hill towards us. I somehow managed to restrain Pat until they reached me.

                “Hold him!” I snapped and Gabe and Felix grabbed his arms as he struggled. I rushed over to Milo and knelt next to him.

                “Milo? Milo, are you okay?” I asked in terror. “I think he broke my arm,” he whimpered, fighting off tears. I helped him sit up and hugged him tightly, careful of his arm. “We’ll take you to the hospital,” I whispered.

                I helped him up and glanced at Gabe. “He needs to go to the hospital,” I said and nodded at Milo. He was gently supporting his possibly broken arm.

                I bit my lip. “I’m calling my dad,” I said and pulled out my cell. I texted Noah to pick us up right now and he responded a minute later saying he’d be here in 5 minutes. I gave a pitying stare at Patrick as he continued to struggle against Gabe and Felix.

                “Tell your dad, or I will,” I said quietly, looking into Gabe’s terrified eyes. His eyes watered and he nodded in defeat. “I’ll tell him,” he whispered. He and Felix forced Pat away towards the car. I hugged Milo, yet again being careful of his arm, until Noah pulled up.

                “What happened?” he asked in concern as I told him to drive Milo to the hospital. I sighed and explained everything to him as best I could.

                “Oh god,” Noah whispered once I was done telling him everything. “JJ, I have a feeling this isn’t over,” Milo whimpered. I put my arm around his waist and kissed him. “I know it isn’t,” I whispered.