Two Shades Of Love {17}

“Hi Milo!” Roman greeted and let me into his house. I was spending the night. I needed to talk to Roman. JJ was still mad at me, and had made it very clear to me that he was spending the night with Pat. I hated when he was this mad at me.

                “Hi Roman,” I said with a small smile. We usually stayed at my house, but we couldn’t tonight because my dad had to get up early for a business meeting tomorrow. So instead, Roman had begged his dad to let me stay the night.

                He led me to his room and shut the door, a relieved look on his face that we hadn’t run into his step mom. She was awful to Roman. She absolutely hatred him. But good old Roman was still very kind to her.

                “So what’s up with you and JJ?” Roman asked as we sat on his bed together. I sighed sadly and ran a hand through my hair. “I wish I knew,” I whispered. I then went on to explain everything that had happened between us, and even my thoughts about Pat.

                Roman frowned deeply. “That kid scares the living hell out of me, Milo,” he said quietly. I nodded in agreement. “I really think he did something bad, Roman. But JJ doesn’t believe me,” I said miserably.

                Roman hugged me and offered me a comforting smile. “Hey, he’ll calm down,” he said. I smiled weakly. “Yea, I hope. Thanks Roman.” He nodded and looked around his room thoughtfully. “Want to play cards?” he offered and I shrugged.

                We sat on his floor and played Phase 10 for a while, talking and laughing. I managed to forget my problems as we began to tell jokes.

                There was a knock on Roman’s door and his dad came in. His eyes locked on Roman and he glared. “Did you steal money from Rachel?” he asked. Rachel was his stepmom. Roman shook his head furiously. “I’ve been in my room all night with Milo!” he said with a frown.

                His dad stormed over and forced him to his feet. He checked Roman’s pockets before shoving him and checking under his bed. “She said you did,” he said accusingly. Roman shook his head again. “I swear I didn’t, dad!” he said honestly.

                His dad glared again and pulled his fist back. He punched Roman in the face and threw him to the ground before storming out of his room.

                “Are you okay?” I asked in concern, crawling over to him and helping him up. He forced a smile, his eye already turning nasty colors. “I’m fine!” he lied brightly. I bit my lip but didn’t push anything. He would’ve told me he was okay even if his dad had cut his arms and legs off and shot him in the face.

                He yawned and cleaned up the cards. “Ready for bed?” he asked me with a smile and I nodded, realizing that I actually was really tired. Roman crawled onto his bed and I laid next to him, my mind wandering to JJ. I bit my lip and resisted the urge to text him. He didn’t want to hear from me. He was mad at me.

                “Goodnight Milo. Everything is going to be okay,” Roman said and turned the lights out. I closed my eyes and let myself drift into a deep sleep, escaping my problems for the moment and praying that Roman was right.

                The next day, I left Roman’s house and had my mom drop me off at JJ’s house. I needed to talk to him and make sure that everything between us was good again. I couldn’t stand having JJ mad at me like this.

                I knocked on the door and Max answered. He smiled at me and let me into the house. “Hi Milo. Are you and JJ okay?” he asked and I shrugged helplessly.

                “He’s mad at me because I warned him about getting close to Pat,” I said with a sad sigh. Max pat me on the back with a sympathetic look.

                “I tried warning him about that, too, and he got mad at me,” he said and ran a hand through his hair. He forced another smile. “He’s up in his room. Pat left about a half hour ago,” he said and I thanked him and made my way up to JJ’s bedroom.

                I knocked on the door. “Come in!” JJ’s voice called. I opened the door and let myself in. JJ glared at me as I shut the door and nervously shoved my hands in my pockets.

                “JJ…I’m really sorry. I hate having you mad at me,” I said quietly. He got up and came over to me. “Just don’t say bad things about Pat,” he growled dangerously. “I was just trying to watch out for you,” I mumbled.

                “I don’t need you to!” he snapped and I shrank back. He sighed and hugged me, kissing me gently. “I love you Milo. Please understand; he’s my best friend,” he said and kissed me again.

                I hugged him back and rested my head on his shoulder. “I love you, JJ,”I whispered. He kissed my forehead and hugged me tighter. “I’m sorry I got mad at you. As long as you don’t say anything bad about Pat, it won’t happen again,” he promised.

                “I just don’t want you to get hurt,” I said sadly. “Shut the fuck up Milo!” he snapped and shoved me away from him. “Stop it!” he cried.

                “JJ!” I cried and frowned. “Just get out Milo! You’re pissing me off. Insulting my best friend and then going off with Roman. Yea, I know you were with him last night,” he hissed. I glared at him and clenched my fists tightly.

                “That’s because, unlike you, I felt no need to hide that knowledge from you! I wasn’t doing anything wrong; I was just hanging out with my friend,” I snapped.

                “Pat and I weren’t doing anything wrong either!” he said furiously. “Then why did you try to hide it from me?” I demanded, feeling my anger boiling over the top. He was making me so fucking mad. Why was he acting like this?

                “Because I knew you were going to overreact!” he cried. “You’re the one that’s overreacting! I’m just trying to make sure you don’t get hurt!” I said, a bit desperately.

                “Well you’re the one that’s hurting me! Get out of my room, Milo! We’re through!” he shrieked and shoved me out of his room, slamming his bedroom door.

                I heard him lock it and I weakly leaned against the wall for support. “JJ,” I whispered. I pounded my fists on his door. “JJ! Please talk to me! I’m sorry! Don’t break up with me!” I cried desperately. But he didn’t open the door. Tears entered my eyes as I slid down to the ground and began to shake. JJ had really broken up with me.