Two Shades Of Love {14}

***JJ’s POV***

                I opened my front door and gave a small smile. “You sure you’re okay to spend the night, Pat?” I asked as he stepped in with a bag slung over his shoulder. He shrugged and nodded. “I feel a lot better,” he said honestly.

                I led him up to my bedroom and he dropped the bag he’d been carrying. He plopped down on the air mattress I had set up and looked up at me curiously. With his blond hair and blue eyes, he would have made Hitler proud.

                “Why didn’t you invite Gabe or Felix or Milo?” he asked me. I shrugged. “I just wanted to hang out with you; like we used to,” I said truthfully. He smiled happily. “Awesome!” he cried, his eyes sparkling. That crazy look wasn’t in them. There was an odd look, but it didn’t scare me. I could see the old Pat in his eyes. The Pat that I had considered my best friend.

                I didn’t want Milo to know I was hanging out with Pat. He was too scared to get close to Pat, but he just seemed so normal. I had desperately missed him while he was gone. He had been my best friend, and had gotten sent away because of me. I wanted him back in my life. Back the way we used to be. And I knew Milo would be able to talk me out of it, and I just didn’t want to be talked out of it. I just wanted to be best friends with Patrick again.

                “Want to watch a movie?” I offered and Pat nodded. We went downstairs to the kitchen and made some popcorn, grabbing sodas and going into the living room. We sat down on the couch and I flicked through Netflix before we decided to watch The Reef.

                I sat down comfortably and Pat lied down, his head in my lap and the popcorn resting on his chest. We always watched movie like this back before Pat had started to act weird.

                We were extremely close friends. I was terrified Milo would think I was cheating on him when I really wasn’t. This was how Pat and I had always acted together, even when we were little. My dads could tell him that if he asked. Still, it would be better if he just didn’t know.

                “You idiot! Why would you stay in the water if there was a shark in there? Dumb bitch,” Pat grumbled. I laughed. “Pat, we pick the worst movies to watch,” I pointed out and he laughed and nodded.

                “Damn, I’d stay on the ship. Fuck that. I couldn’t swim 12 miles through shark infested water,” I said as the movie continued to play. “Aw, sure you could JJ. You’re in good shape,” Pat said, turning his head to look up at me. I rolled my eyes. “Not through shark infested water. It’s the ocean. I’d rather die of dehydration,” I said and he laughed but nodded in agreement.

                “Don’t turn the turtle!” we cried at the same time. “Yep, and that’s when I would drown myself,” Pat said, shaking his head as the guy turned the turtle around.

                “Gah, this movie is stupid. The shark just nearly ate that chick, and he goes splashing away from the group. Fucker deserves to die,” Pat grumbled as Matt got his legs bit off. He shoveled some popcorn into his mouth, washed it down with soda, and pouted.

                I laughed. “Can’t burp?” I guessed. “Shut up!” he whined. Pat could never burp, but Gabe and I could burp like champs. Pat absolutely hated it.

                “Let’s watch something else. This movie is stupid and predictable,” he said. I raised an eyebrow at him. “Uh…Pat? It’s a movie about a shark. Of course it’s predictable. The shark is going to attack them,” I pointed out and he rolled his eyes. “You know what I mean,” he grumbled.

                “Let’s go to bed. It’s late and I’m tired,” I said and helped him up. We turned off the movie and went upstairs to my room. I grabbed my phone off my bed and checked it for messages. Ah shit. Milo.

                From: Milo<3

                Hey JJ. Are you okay? You were acting weird yesterday :/

                I bit my lip and ignored the message. He would probably just figure that my phone had died or something. Besides, it wasn’t like I was doing anything real bad. I was just scared Milo would talk me out of being close to Pat again. I wanted to be close to him.

                Pat pulled his shirt off and changed into a pair of shorts. I copied him and sat on my bed as he made himself comfortable on the air mattress. He folded his hands under his head and turned to look at me questioningly.

                “You’re sleeping on your bed?” he asked in confusion. “No, I was just texting,” I lied quickly and jumped down onto the air mattress next to him. He shifted to make room for me and I pulled the blanket over myself.

                “JJ, I don’t know what I did to make you and Milo hate me so much, but I’m really sorry,” he said quietly as I turned the lights off. “We don’t hate you Pat. I could never hate you,” I said softly. I could feel him shifting again and could just faintly see his eyes in the darkness as my eyes began to adjust a little.

                “Swear?” he asked quietly. “I swear,” I assured him and smiled lightly. “Now shut the hell up and go to sleep, Pat,” I said. “Yea,” he mumbled and shifted again.

                My phone buzzed again and I opened it under the covers so that I didn’t disturb Pat. It was another message from Milo. I mentally sighed and shut my phone off. I wasn’t doing anything wrong right now. I was just hanging out with my friend. That was all. I had no romantic attraction to Pat, and whatever he had felt for me was apparently gone. I loved Milo and only Milo. I just wanted to be friends with Pat.

                I closed my eyes and imagined kissing Milo, comparing it to the time I had kissed Pat and how different it had felt. Milo was the only one for me. But Pat and I had a closeness that I could never have with Milo, or anyone else for that matter. We had gone through so much together. I just hoped Milo wouldn’t try to talk me out of this if he ever found out.