Two Shades Of Love {23}

We knocked on the Cash’s door and Owen let us in. “Gabe and Pat are out with my wife right now,” he now, glaring at me.

                “Owen, Milo didn’t try to hurt him. Look at Milo’s head and take a guess who hurt him,” JJ said flatly, turning me around and holding my hair so that Owen could see the bump on my head from the lockers.

                Owen weakly sat down in a chair and buried his face in his hands, shaking. “He really seemed okay. I really thought he was okay,” he whispered.

                He looked up at us, his eyes desperate. “I can’t send him back. My wife will leave me. Gabe will become depressed again. Pat screams in his sleep. He’s so scared. I can’t send him back there. I can’t lose my son again,” he whispered.

                “Uncle Owen, he’s dangerous. He’s going to hurt someone,” JJ said gently. “He needs to go and get help. Pat is not okay.”

                “Your dads always told me not to have kids, JJ,” Owen said, laughing shakily. JJ was looking at him sympathetically. “Owen, you’re a great dad to them. It’s not your fault Pat’s mental,” he said with a deep frown.

                “I can’t do this to him JJ. If you heard the way he screams in his sleep, you would understand,” Owen said quietly. My mind flashed to that night we had the sleepover at JJ’s, and the way Pat had been whimpering and muttering in his sleep.

                “It’s like he wants to get away from whatever is in his head. Whatever makes him do the bad things. It’s like he’s screaming for help in his sleep,” Owen said, looking over at a school picture of Pat. Pat looked about 12 in it, smiling happily. Owen gently placed his hand on the frame. “I can’t send him away,” he mumbled.

                “Owen, you have to,” JJ said, his face serious. “He had that look in his eyes today. He tried to drown Milo, and he punched him as hard as he possibly could today.”

                The front door opened and JJ and I looked over as Pat and Gabe entered the house with their mom, all of them laughing. Gabe looked over and stopped laughing. His eyes narrowed at me in disgust.

                Pat looked over and glared. “The fuck is he doing here?” he snarled, pointing at me. “Watch your language Patrick!” Owen snapped, a pained look in his eyes. He spun to face Pat and bit his lip before sighing.

                “Pat, be honest with us. Did Milo hold you under, or did you hold Milo under?” he asked gently. “No one’s going to be mad, no matter what you say,” he added quickly.

                Pat stared at his father in honest shock. That shock quickly turned to fury, though. “I can’t believe you. You’re going to believe Milo over me? I’m your son! Why does everyone pick Milo over me?” he screamed in frustration before turning and rushing out of his house.

                “Patrick!” Owen cried. “I’ll get him,” Gabe said and hurried out of the house after Pat. Mrs. Cash glared at Owen in disgust.

                “I can’t believe you would upset him like that Owen! God dammit; use your brain for once!” she snapped and stormed out of the house.

                Owen sat down heavily. “She’s going to leave me. She’s going to take the boys and leave me,” he said miserably.

                “No she won’t Uncle Owen. We’re going to leave now. I hope everything is okay,” JJ said and hugged him tightly. “Bye boys,” he whispered and we left the house.

                We went back to JJ’s house and sat in his room. “I’m worried, Milo. She would take the boys and leave Owen if it meant not sending Pat away again,” JJ whispered. I hugged him tightly. “Just text Gabe tonight and see what’s going on,” I said and kissed him.

                “This is my fault. I fucked up,” JJ groaned. “JJ, stop it. Please,” I said silently. I rested my head on his chest and he hugged me. “I’m so sorry Milo. I do love you. I love you so much. I’m an ignorant fuck who doesn’t deserve you,” he whispered and kissed me deeply.

                We laid together until it got dark. JJ text Gabe and sighed deeply. “I’m scared, Milo,” he said quietly. “Don’t be,” I said and took his hand in mine, squeezing it reassuringly as his phone vibrated with a text from Gabe.

                He checked the message and shook his head sadly. “He found Pat and managed to calm him down, but his mom took them to stay with their grandparents for the night. He said she’s furious at their dad. He said he overheard his mom talking to his grandma about divorce,” he whispered and I hugged him.

                “JJ, if Pat’s with his mom and brother and they’re both in denial…what’s going to happen to us? He’s going to get back at us and no one will try to stop him,” I said quietly.

                “I’ll do whatever it takes to protect you Milo. This was my fault. You’re taking the fall for me,” he said and kissed me gently. We rested together, both of us with our minds on Pat and what he could do to us.

'               But neither of us could’ve guessed just how far he was going to take it.