Two Shades Of Love {26}

I walked into school the next day holding Milo’s hand. We went to our lockers and then met up with Pat, Gabe, and Felix. Felix was starting to go quiet again and I had a feeling he was hanging out alone with Pat. His eyes were starting to take on that glazed-over look he had gotten last year when Pat got a hold of him.

                “Hey Felix, you okay?” I asked nervously. His eyes snapped into focus and he gave me a goofy smile and nodded. I eyed him carefully and my eyes widened when they landed on his arm.

                “Felix! Your parents are going to kill you!” I cried. He shifted guiltily and my eyes shot to Pat. “You guys smoked together, didn’t you?” I accused.

                “Who cares?” Pat snapped angrily. “Felix can’t get high! His parents drug test him!” I snapped and Felix bit his lip nervously. “I…I’ve been clean for so long. I didn’t mean to slip up like that. Oh man; my mom and dad are going to ground me and beat the shit out of me,” he whispered miserably.

                “Don’t you sell me out Felix! My parents will kill me! They think I’m clean,” Pat said, shooting him a warning look.

                “I won’t, Pat!” Felix said honestly. Pat relaxed a little, knowing Felix was basically his servant. I glared in disgust. “What?” Pat asked, noticing my look.

                “He’s one of your best friends and you’re just going to sell him out like that? You probably pressured him into getting high, and you’re going to let him take the fall?” I asked angrily. Pat snorted. “I ain’t gettin’ in trouble,” he said and crossed his arms.

                I opened my mouth but Felix shook his head violently. “No, it’s okay JJ. I chose to smoke the weed,” he said quickly, glancing at Pat for approval. Pat nodded and Felix smiled weakly, despite the fear in his eyes. His dad was going to beat the living shit right out of him for getting high.

                “Whatever. I’ll tell your parents then,” I said simply. “Oh no you won’t,” Pat growled, grabbing me by the front of my shirt. “Watch me,” I hissed and shoved him off me. He tightened his hands into fists but I stepped back before he could hit me.

                “You’re losing it Pat. It won’t be long before your parents send you away if you keep acting like this. After everything he’s gone through for you, you hit your dad. You could’ve broken his nose,” I said coldly.

                “Shut up! He hates me! He doesn’t believe me that I’m okay, and neither do you!” he wailed, clearly upset. My heart broke a little, but I kept a tough face. I wanted him to be okay, but he clearly wasn’t.

                I grabbed Milo’s hand and began to walk away. “I’ll make sure you don’t tell on me JJ!” Pat threatened. I glanced at him and saw that terrifyingly crazy look in his eyes. I gulped and pulled Milo away quickly.

                “JJ, be careful. He’s really after you,” Milo said nervously. I stopped and leaned down, deeply kissing him. “I’ll be okay,” I whispered, hoping it was true. Milo was right. But I was glad. I would much rather have Pat after me than after Milo.

                The bell exploded and I mentally sighed. I made my way to class. The end of the day came quick, and with no incidents with Pat. He just shot me dirty looks all day long.

                Gabe and I walked to my locker together and I got my stuff. I frowned. “I’m going to go find Milo, Gabe. You go get Felix and Pat and I’ll meet you guys at the car,” I said and he nodded and went off in search of Felix and his brother.

                I went to Milo’s locker and began to get a little panicked. Where the hell was he? God I hoped Pat wasn’t after him. He was probably just…just running late. He had probably just stayed after to do a test or something.

                “JJ?”

                I instantly relaxed. “Milo!” I said happily and hugged him to me. “Sorry, I had to turn something in down the language hall,” he said and kissed me.

                I took his hand in mine and we went over to his locker. “Are we going over to the Cash’s?” he asked curiously as he put in his combination. I nodded and sighed.

                “This will probably be the last time we get to hang out with Felix. If his parents drug test him tonight, he’s fucked. He won’t sell Patrick out. He’s far too loyal to him,” I said sadly. But I would sell Pat out. It wasn’t right for Felix to get in trouble when Pat had no doubt pressured him into getting high yesterday.

                Felix had this habit of writing “W” on his wrist after he got high. I had spotted it on him this morning. He used to constantly write “W” on his wrist when he was addicted to weed. It was like his way of letting the world know that he had an addiction.

                I would tell Felix’s parents that Pat had peer pressured him into it. Owen and Marissa would drug test Pat and catch him, too. Pat wasn’t going to take Felix down; not if I could help it.

                Milo shut his locker and I kissed him and took his hand again. “Just play it cool, and we can sell him out tomorrow. His parents will drug test him again and then he’ll get in trouble, and maybe Felix’s parents will take it easy on him. His parents never hit him, but they did when they found out their son was a teenage drug addict. He got into drugs when he was 13,” I said with a slight shrug.

                “That’s so sad. Please don’t do drugs anymore JJ. I really wish you would quit smoking,” Milo said sadly as we walked outside. “I’ll try, just for you,” I said and kissed him. He opened his mouth to say something, but before I knew what was happening, my head had exploded into pain and Milo was screaming on the ground.