Chapter 5

I walk out of the meeting room, feeling exhausted. Maybe it's the fact that I've been running on 5 hours of sleep this past week or maybe it's because of what just happened in that meeting. These past few years, I've never really realised the impact shareholders had on a company but after today's meeting, Damien's and I's position in this company was hanging in the balance. Since Damien was in Japan, I was left to fend off a pack of wolves by myself. Too bad for them, my motto was throw me to the wolves and I"ll return leading the pack. But, in this case, it was safe to say that after that stunt I just pulled in there, I had better watch my back. I walk into the office, just as my phone rings.

"Alex Winters."

"Sweetheart, how are you?" 

"Dad? Why are you calling the office?" 

"I tried your cell but it was off." I checked my iPhone noticing a few missed calls from my dad. "Yeah, I was in a meeting with the shareholders." I sink into the plush chair and swivel around to face the wall-sized window behind me. It was an amazing view, especially at night. It was my favourite part of the office, and one of the reasons I loved staying late at the office. I always loved the night, since I was a baby. There was something so thrillingly calm and peaceful about the night with underlying tones of danger. 

"Yeah, I heard about it. Everything okay?"

 "Yeah, don't worry. Just a few issues that needed to be ironed out." What an understatement. "Well, I'm sure you have got it all handled. Is Damien back yet?" 

"Nope, he should probably be back in the evening." I chatted with my dad for a few minutes before hanging up. I look at the time and realise I should probably get going if I wanted to make it in time for my lunch appointment.

After lunch, I headed to the agency's headquarters. I was a little nervous of how these seasoned operatives would feel about a 24 year old woman being their leader. They were best buds with Damien since he had been on many missions with them. Surprisingly, most of them welcomed me with open arms. Uncle Sam had come along and spoke to them about how I was their guardian angel during each mission and a few of them personally thanked me for saving their lives. Naturally, there were a few who were not happy about being led by a girl but after having a training session with them, it was safe to say that they had utmost respect for me. Walking into HQ, i was greeted by a few agents before making my way to the office. There was a mission tonight and I was joining them. Like every other mission, we needed a plan A,B and C. After taking care of some paperwork, I walk into the control room where Casey and the boys were waiting for me. Casey had also started training for his father's position and he was an angel in disguise. I don't know what Damien and I would do without Casey. We went over the plan for tonight, it was a relatively simple mission. Once everything was finalised, we changed and headed out to kill a terrorist on American soil.

***********************************************************************

Parking my car in front of my parents house, I switch off the ignition and open the door. The mission was a success and on my way home, I remembered that I needed to pass a few papers to my dad to sign. Since it was pretty late, I figured to just spend the night at their house. After all, tomorrow was a Saturday. Just as I'm about to open the front door, I hear someone call my name. I turn around, hand on my gun. Sighing in relief when Damien emerges from the shadows, i walk towards him, eyebrow raised in question. 'Hey, what's up?"

 "You had a shareholders meeting today without me?" he starts angrily. Tensing for a moment, I compose my face and say"Yeah, I told them you were in Japan but they insisted on having it. Don't worry about it, it was nothing much."

 "I don't believe you. After all, I'm that useless guy you're dying to get rid of."

I sigh at him, leaning against my car.