Chapter 19

Monday morning soon arrives and I feel completely rested, having done nothing but catch up on sleep the entire weekend. Walking into my office, I take a seat at my table when I notice something sitting on my disorganized desk. A Starbucks coffee cup is sitting there, steaming hot. I notice small post-it note on the cup and I curiously read it.

I know it's not much but consider it a peace offering.

                                                                                           ~D~

I roll my eyes, taking out my phone to call him since I'm too lazy to walk all the way there.

He picks up on the first ring and I can hear the smirk in his voice.

"good morning, angel."

"Morning. Thanks for the coffee."

"Your welcome. It's just the beginning of my peace offering."

"Damiennnnn..."

"I know your still mad at me."

"I thought we've been over this. I'm not mad at you although now, you're kinda pissing me off."

"You're calling me Damien."

His matter-of-fact tone stumps me for a few seconds.

"What?"

"You always call me Arius but when you're mad at me, you call me Damien."

I remain silent for a few seconds, shocked at his astute observation. It was true but I never knew he noticed it since it wasn't even a really obvious thing.

"Angel? You still there?" his voice comes through, a smirk in his cocky voice.

"Y-Yeah. Umm, look I need to get back to work. Talk to you later."

"Wait, meet me for lunch?"

"I can't. Lunch meeting."

"How about tomorrow?"

"I promised Marcus that I'll have lunch with him."

"Oh, alright then. "he says stonily and I instantly fell bad.

"I can do Wednesday. You free?"

I hear a few clicks before he answers,"It's a date."

Wishing him goodbye, I hang up ignoring the tingles of his last sentence. Shaking my head, I force myself to look at the email in front of me.

The week passes by quickly and Damien and I are..well it's complicated. We're talking to each other but we're not as close as we were before Dubai. Before this, it was perfectly normal for us to hang out at each other's houses or go out for dinner but this past week, the only form of interaction we had outside of work was lunch on Wednesday and a few texts here and there. Admittedly, it was kind of my doing that things were this way. I thought if I didn't spend so much time with him outside of work, my feelings for him would fade away but boy was I mistaken. I missed that idiot. I missed us talking about the randomest shit, I missed us cooking together, I missed us singing along to the radio in the car, I missed him. But was I going to call him? Nope. it was better this way, this was how it supposed to be. Just regular friends and business partners. Best friends was dangerous territory.

I was cleaning my apartment when I got a facetime call from Belle. Answering it, I lean against my sparkly clean kitchen counter.

"Hey, babe."

"Hey, watcha doin?"

"Cleaning."

"I thought you had a part time maid."