Chapter 33

Hushed voices bring me out of my drug induced slumber. As my blurry vision slowly clears, I realise I'm at SSS HQ, probably in their infirmary. Uncle Sam is standing by my side, looking absolutely tensed as he speaks with a fellow agent. He notices I'm awake and dismisses the agent before turning to me.

"Hey, sweetheart. How you feeling?" 

"I've been better." 

He chuckles and hands me a glass of water which I thankfully accept. Once my throat doesn't feel so parched anymore, I slowly sit up in bed with his help.

"How long was I out for?"

"About a day. Your dad's gonna kill me when he sees me next."

"Why? Does he know?"

"He suspects,I guess. You haven't been home in almost a week, Alex. Everyone's worried."

"Not everyone." I mutter to myself, thinking about how happy Damien would be now that I'm out of his hair. Uncle Sam hears me but he pretends not to. 

"So, you gonna debrief me now?"I ask him, wanting to change the subject.

Uncle Sam stares at me wide eyed."You're insane. You're gonna get checked out first."

He calls the doctor who then proceeds to tell me that I'm okay save for a few bruised ribs and several wounds on my back which were thankfully healing fast. According to him, I should be good to go in 2 days. I mentally scoff to myself, I was so getting out of this infirmary tomorrow.

Once the doctor's left, I reach for my clothes which are lying on the couch and hand him the chip.

"That goddamn chip better have been worth it." I grumble and he laughs.

"It is. Thank you Alex."

"It's my pleasure. So, are they gone for good?" I ask seriously and he knows who I'm talking about. 

"they're all dead. He's dead. The threat has been taken care of and the mission was a success."

I nod, not really feeling happy at the moment knowing what was to lie ahead for me. 

"Alex, I'm so sorry." 

I turn to look at Uncle Sam in confusion.

"I should have never agreed to send you in alone and if we were fast enough, if I was fast enough, that idiot would not have hurt you. I'm so sorry sweetheart."

My heart breaks at the look on his face and I hug him as best as I could.

"It's not your fault. You saved me when I couldn't save myself and you did so today. So, thank you."

He nods before standing up.

"Well, I'm gonna let you rest. We can talk details tomorrow."

I wish him good night and eventually the morphine lulls me back to sleep.

The next morning, I shower and change into a clean outfit. Popping a few painkillers into my mouth, I walk out of my room, signing myself out and heading into the conference room where I know all the directors are gathered. As soon as I enter the room, all heads turn to look at me in shock.

"Alex. What are you doing out of bed?" Uncle Sam rushes to me but I stand my ground even when everyone else agrees with him. 

"I'm fine. So, statrep please." I turn to them, completely in business mode. They sigh, knowing I was not gonna budge. 

Turns out the blast did its job. There are no surviving victims and while I was on my mission, agents all around the world took out sleeper cells linked to The Syndicate. All those gangs who pledged their allegiance were taken care off except a few which was why it was still necessary for me to follow post mission protocol.