Chapter 9

(Alex's mission outfit above)

Sure enough, I only got about 2 hours of sleep that night. I just couldn't get that kiss out of my head,the way his husky voice wished me goodnight or the way my heart went into overdrive at our proximity or the way his brown eyes pierced my blue ones or the worst part of all, the tingles that travelled through my body when those full lips touched my cheek. Okay, Alex snap out of it. You're acting like an immature teenager. It was just a friendly kiss. After all, Jay has done it so many times. Yeah, but your knees don't buckle like that. That small voice in my head sounded. Turning on the shower full blast, I tell myself you both had  quite a bit of wine last night. That's why. Forget about it, Alex. Shaking my head, I stand under the steamy water and allow it to soothe all the muscles in my body. After being in the shower for 20 minutes, I wrapped a towel around my body and walked to my walk-in closet. Picking a red peplum dress, I added a statement necklace and matching earrings. Keeping my makeup natural, making sure to conceal my eyebags,  I slipped on a pair of pumps before grabbing my handbag and heading downstairs.

Looking at the time, I realised that I needed to leave now if I wanted to make it in time for my meeting. Grabbing a granola bar, I rushed to my car and sped off to the office. 

"Morning, Ms Winters. These files need your attention and I've marked the pages that need your signature. Your lunch appointment cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow. This is the file that you need for your meeting shortly and just a reminder, you have dinner tonight with Ms Black, Mr Wilson and Mr Black." I'm perusing through the files as she speaks but at the mention of Mr Black, I look up. "Mr Black junior or senior?" 

"Junior, Angel." I turn my gaze to the door, where Damien stands looking sinfully handsome in an Armani suit. Margaret excuses herself and leaves the office, shutting the door after her. Raising an eyebrow at him, "Shame, I would have liked to spend time with your dad." 

He pouts,"And here I was thinking of bringing you coffee, but since you do not desire to be in my presence, I shall leave." 

Perking up at the mention of coffee, I stand up with an innocent smile, just noticing the two cups of coffee in his hands. "Did I say that? I swear I said Mr Black junior." 

 Damien chuckles, handing me my cup. I thank him and take a sip of the creamy latte. Shooting my eyebrows up when I realise that he got my sugar and cream perfect, I send him a questioning glance. He smiles almost nervously,"I hope I got it right. I wasn't sure so I went on how you used to drink it back in high school." 

My heart warms at the fact that he remembers such a simple thing from 8 years ago but I don't get the chance to probe him further because Margaret opens the door just then, saying that we had to go for our meeting now. I grab my stuff and walk beside Damien to the elevator. As soon as we step out of the elevator, we put on our masks. I become Ice Queen and Damien turns into the ruthless, intimidating businessman that he is. Walking into the conference room, I mentally prepare myself for a long and boring meeting.

4 hours later, I close my eyes and rub my temples wearily. I swear if I saw or heard another word about asset turnover ratio and core inflation and market capitalization, I was gonna shoot myself. Across the table, Damien groaned,"I swear I will shoot myself if I have to listen to another bloody economic term." 

I laugh at his statement,"I was just thinking the same thing." He runs his hands through his hair, effectively messing it up before standing and saying,"Ho la soluzione perfetta."( have the perfect solution.) I raise an eyebrow at him,"Perché stiamo parlando italiano?(Why are we speaking in Italian?) "Hai dimenticato le tue radici angelo?"(Have you forgotten your roots, angel?" I glare playfully at him, "No, Arius.Sono orgoglioso di essere italiano."(I'm proud to be Italian.) He sticks his tongue out playfully, surprising me with his playfulness. "Sono affamato. Facciamo prendere il pranzo."(I'm starving. Let's go grab lunch.) I nod gleefully,"Andiamo a Marcolinis?"(Shall we go to Marcolinis) Smirking at me, he replies,"Leggi la mia mente."(You read my mind.)