Chapter 17

We walk out, his hand on the small of my back, burning through the fabric of my jumpsuit. Waving at the cheerful audience, we greet Ellen before taking a seat. Once the crowd quietens down, Ellen starts off.

"Hey guys. How are you?"

"Good, good."

"Well, Damien, I have to say you are looking very delectable in that outfit but Alex, if I wasn't married and if you were not straight, I would totally hit on you." Everyone bursts out laughing and I find myself relaxing, and having fun. Damien too seems to be at ease, not his usual brooding businessman self. We chat with Ellen about the company and she asks me about my hotels.

"So, Damien, are we friends?"

Damien smiles,"Absolutely."

Ellen nods,"Okay, then can I get a ten million dollar diamond necklace too?"

The audience starts cheering and I blush. Damien laughs, answering casually,

"Sure, no problem."

Ellen turns to the both of us,"Now you guys say you're just friends right?" We nod and she stares at us deadpanned,

"But you're lying. You can't be just friends. I can feel the chemistry between the two of you."

I speak up,"We're not lying. We really are just friends and business partners. That's it." Damien agrees with me and Ellen just shakes her head at us, as though she's given up.

"So, Alex, did you like the diamond necklace?"

"I did, but it's not mine."

"What?" she says in shock.

I shrug,"I told Damien that I couldn't accept such an expensive gift." Ellen stares at me like I've lost my mind.

"Are you crazy woman? If someone were to say"Hey, I just bought this ten million dollar necklace for you", I would not say No."

I laugh, shrugging,"Well, i told him no." She turns to Damien,"And you gave up just like that?"

He smirks deviously,"Oh, I'm not a quitter." was all he said. Ellen raises her eyebrows at me suggestively while I just stare curiously at Damien who's grinning away.

"Anyway, Alex, how's it like working with this brooding guy over here?" I glance at Damien, smiling softly before turning back to Ellen.

"It's amazing. Ari-Damien is the best partner I could ever have. Honestly, I would have probably crashed and burned a long time ago if it weren't for him."

"Didn't you guys hate each other in the beginning?"

"We never hated each other. I guess, we're both hot-headed and stubborn plus we had a few issues to sort out, but once we got past that, we've become friends."

I refrain from telling her about our rocky past. that was something America did not need to know. She nods, turning to Damien

"And how's it like working with this beautiful lady over here?"

He smiles at me, gently squeezing my hand.

"It's great. Angel's, I mean Alex may look like a demure gorgeous lady but she's a spitfire. I mean, she's smart, witty and sarcastic. She keeps me in my place and nothing gets past her, seriously. She really brightens things up."

We share a small smile and Ellen raises an eyebrow,"Angel?" I elbow Damien in the side at his slip up and he groans, rubbing it.

"I know i'm hot but keep your hands to yourself, woman." he says playfully glaring at me. Rolling my eyes, I say dryly,"Uh-huh, keep saying that. Maybe one day,it'll come true." Everyone starts laughing and Damien has a mock wounded expression.