❝oh my disney❞ » prologue

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning." - Peter Pan

        A YOUNG ALICE WINTERS, only seven years old, sat on her window seat at five minutes to midnight, staring dreamily up at the stars. Clad in a light blue nightdress that puffed at the sleeves and a matching blue ribbon around the waist, she sat and waited, wondering how long it would take before he realized that she was waiting for him. She'd been searching for that one star in particular - but there were so many stars out tonight, and she couldn't see far enough to the right to be sure.

        What if she hadn't dressed enough like Wendy for him to come? Her mother had curled her hair and tied it up with a blue ribbon, and she'd been wearing the night dress all day - just in case he decided to come early. Alice knew that she looked just like Wendy - despite the blonde hair and slightly too big feet. Sure, Alice also had green eyes instead of blue, but she had been silently hoping that it was dark enough that Peter wouldn't notice.

        He had to come. He just had to.

        She'd been waiting for Peter Pan to take her to Neverland for a long time now. It'd taken her a few weeks to come up with the theory that unless she dressed just like Wendy, he wouldn't show up - and once she had, she was sure that he was going to come. Ever since she'd been whisked away to that magical land - a.k.a. watched the movie - she'd been obsessed, especially with Peter Pan. She was sure that he would come for her, and when he did, she wasn't going to be like Wendy.

        When Peter Pan came for her, she was never coming back.

        Alice wouldn't come back if Peter wanted her to. She wanted to stay with Peter forever - and she was stubborn, and hoped that he'd respect her wishes. Alice Winters didn't want to grow up, she wanted to stay in the world of mermaids, pirates and lost boys - and the world with a particularly intriguing red-headed boy. She would wait until the early hours of the morning if she had to - she would wait forever for Peter. Forever wouldn't matter if she wouldn't be growing up anyways, right?

        It seemed like Alice had been waiting on her window sill for a long time. Alice thought it might have something to do with staring at nothing, and that when one is doing nothing, it is easy to lose track of time. Alice never understood time - but now that she needed to know how to read it, she wished that she'd paid more attention in class. After a long time of pondering what time it might be, she unlatched the window and pushed the doors open, the crisp midnight wind rushing into the room.

        Alice closed her eyes and let the breeze blow her hair out of her face, her dress swaying at her knees. Alice wondered if there was a way to contact Peter Pan - surely she couldn't just call out into the darkness, he'd never hear her from here. She squinted into the night sky - she thought that if she did that, she might have been able to see Tinkerbell's light flittering through the sky. Rats, she thought silently to herself, still seeing nothing. Maybe Hook's got him tied up, that old codfish.

        Worried, Alice searched her room for a shadow. She opened every drawer, wondering if history could repeat itself in such a way. Alice pulled the sheets off of her bed, searched the highest shelves of her closet and lifted the rugs on the floor - but Peter Pan's shadow was nowhere to be found. She slumped down on her window seat in a huff - was it normal for him to take this long?

        Alice thought that maybe it was the outfit. Had she left something out? No, she couldn't have - she'd watched the movie so many times, it seemed a ridiculous thought to think that Alice didn't know what Wendy Darling looked like. Alice had wanted to be Wendy for a long time now - to be the young girl who was whisked away by a mysterious and adventurous boy in the middle of the night, off to an island where children never had to grow up.