❝oh my disney❞ » chapter one

"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it." - Alice In Wonderland

        "UM, ALICE? I know this is gonna sound pretty weird, seeing as we don't really talk much and all, but I was just wondering - hoping, actually... that you'd maybe like to go out sometime? With me? It's totally understandable if you don't want to - but that new Disney movie is out, and I thought that maybe you'd like to go and see it with me?"

         (Okay, I'll admit it - that was pretty cute. You know, that typical geeky date-proposal where the guy is almost too afraid to ask the girl out, and stumbles over every word as if it's a hurdle in a race? He's been crushing on her for a long time - it was love at first sight, wasn't it? Of course, as he said, they knew nothing about one another, and had barely ever spoken, either. No words had been exchanged until now - but somehow, he feels the need to ask her out. He stares at her intently as she ponders his question - wondering how she should word her answer to such an admittedly cute junior.)

        "Patrick, that's really sweet, but I'm gonna have to say no."

         (Too bad cute had nothing to do with my answer.)

        Patrick stared at his feet, looking crushed. I pursed my lips as I stood with one hand rested on my hip, wondering if it would be horribly rude if I walked away right now. Sighing, I brushed my bangs out of my face, figuring I should say something to soften the blow as best I can. "Pat, I have nothing against you - really, I don't. I just don't want to go out with anyone right now," I tried, offering him a reassuring pat on the shoulder that didn't serve to do much more than make things even more awkward between us. 

        "Oh..." He still looked like I just ran over his dog.

        I bit the inside of my cheek nervously. "See you in class, Patrick," I concluded in the most soothing tone I could manage, nodding my head in the other direction before Rachel - my friend from pre-school who'd been standing at my side the whole time - followed me as I retreated to my locker, staring at me in awe before breaking the silence. 

        "God, Alice, teach me your ways!" Rachel exclaimed, talking animatedly with her hands. That was the fun thing about being friends with a drama major like her - they were always overly expressive about everything. When she got fired up, you'd have to be sure to be out of the line of fire once she started gesturing for dramatic affect. "Seriously though, how do you get all the cute ones falling all over you while I'm just standing here, single-since-birth?" she lamented, leaning up against the locker beside mine and sighing theatrically. 

        "It's not exactly a good thing, Rach," I laughed uneasily while tugging at my lock, trying to get it open. "I'm starting to run out of good excuses for why I don't want to go out with these guys." 

        Rachel echoed my laughter, but her look turned to seriousness on a dime. "Why did you say no, by the way? I thought you liked Patrick." 

         I shrugged, paying more attention to my lock than anything else. "Patrick's fine - Disney isn't. I'm over those movies - I didn't want him to think I'm a monster just because I don't want to go see Frozen," I explained, the word Frozen coming out like I'd just said morgue.

         Rachel's eyes lit up immediately. "But Frozen was amazing! Idina Menzel really outdid herself, and if you ask me, it was high time they made her the voice of Disney royalty. And Kristen Bell - who knew she could sing? Absolutely flawless - Disney at it's best," she gushed excitedly, her hands flailing about manically as she rambled on, prompting me to roll my eyes out of habit.