❝oh my disney❞ » chapter eight

"You know, I am so romantic, sometimes I think I should just marry myself." - Monsters Inc.

        "WAIT, SO HE'S DRESSED up as Peter Pan twenty-four-seven, and you still have a crush on him?"

        I rolled over on my bed and simultaneously rolled my eyes. It was the first day off I'd had in over a week - and Rachel had been on the phone with me all morning asking questions about anything and everything to do with my new Disney-filled life. It would've made so much more sense if she'd been the one to get the job at Disneyland - and then I could gladly take her shifts at the Walmart. Somehow, I was sure that even then, Max would've figured out a way to get me to like Disney, even if I didn't work there anymore. He always found a way to get to me, somehow. 

        "Yes, he plays Peter Pan - and no, I do not have a crush on him," I clarified, twirling a strand of blonde hair around my finger. This was the first time in what seemed like forever that I didn't have to wear that ridiculous blonde wig - and I was loving every minute of my freedom. 

        "Really?" Rachel asked in a disbelieving tone. "It sure sounds like you do."

        "Then I think you need to get your ears checked, because I definitely do not. Did you not hear the part about him literally being Peter Pan? That's a bit of a deal breaker in my book, Rach."

        Rachel laughed. "I don't kno-ow..." she sing-songed. "With the way you literally fell for him and all, I was just guessing..." she teased, and I wished that she was with me so that I could hit her over the head with my pillow. I'd told her everything about Max and how we'd met - afraid to spare any details. I knew my best friend, and I knew that she'd find out eventually, especially when it was anything to do with Disney. 

        "That wasn't my fault!" I exclaimed, sitting up and leaning against the headboard of my bed. "I told you, those obnoxious pirates knocked me over the railing - and then Max had the nerve to hold me back when I try to-" 

        "I need to meet this guy," Rachel decided. 

        "No, no, no, you are not meeting him. No way - no," I clarified. 

        Rachel laughed. "Why? Are you afraid I'm going to steal him away?" she teased. "Oh wait - Grace is apparently already doing that for me." 

        I tried to hide my annoyance. "That's not funny."

        "Oh my God - you do like him!" Rachel squealed. 

        I groaned. "For the last time - I do not like Max. There is absolutely positively no way I could possibly ever, ever like Max. No feelings are being felt but pure annoyance, okay? Are we clear?" I assured her, hoping I didn't sound as suspicious to her as I did to myself. I didn't like Max - but I knew that saying that would only make it sound like I liked him more

        Rachel snorted. "Whatever you sa-ay..." she sang teasingly again.

        "Sing-songing it won't change the fact that he bugs the crap out of me, Rach." 

        "So? I bug the crap out of you and you still like me."

        "Rachel, shut up, or I will hang up on you." 

        Rachel laughed. "Fine, fine! I've just never heard you sound so happy before." 

        I raised my eyebrows. "Seriously? I'm working at Disneyland - I doubt I sound happy." I hadn't even realized how stupid I must've sounded to her as I recounted my week at the park - especially when it came to the parts about Max. Running around with him in secret and going on rides together - holding his hands the other day? No wonder Rachel thought I had a thing for him.