❝oh my disney❞ » chapter two

"The only way to get what you want in this world is through hard work." - The Princess and the Frog

        "HEY, BLONDIE!" Okay, not how I wanted to start my first day of work.

         It was bad enough that it was eighty-six degrees out and I was clad in a ridiculously sweaty purple dress (not in the job description, might I add), but it was barely a half hour into my first day before I found myself getting catcalled by a co-worker. At least I didn't have the blue eyes to fit the exact stereotype - but that didn't make it any less irritating to be addressed by a physical feature of my body rather than my name. I turned, instantly regretting it as my annoying yellow locks whipped me in the face for about the hundredth time today, to find the Flynn to my Rapunzel walking towards me. I had to admit, he wasn't nearly as unattractive as I thought he'd be. Still, there was probably an equal amount of make-up on his face as mine, and he was still running to catch up to my stride a good distance behind me.

        "Alice? Hello? You there?"

         I blinked at the boy standing before me, coming back down from my thoughts. "I - yes. I'm here. What do you want?"

         He offered me a welcoming smile. "We have to get to the concert - it starts in fifteen."

         Damn - I was hoping he'd forget about that. "Right, right," I muttered, not really paying attention as I fiddled with a flower on the enormous braid that almost reached my feet. Will (I think it's Will?) offered me a hand that I hesitantly took as he led me through the tunnels toward the Town Square Theatre. Little wouldn't begin to describe my knowledge when it came to Disney, but I definitely did not know that the parks had a secret system of underground tunnels, all designed to help face characters and workers get from place to place quickly, without being seen. It was the one thing I'd found myself thankful for when I first began work - it meant that I didn't have to be all happy-go-lucky as I was making my way to my post, which was just about the best thing I'd learned all day. Still, here I was, about to go onstage in a ridiculous princess dress and sing about floating lights (or are they stars?), and I knew that I couldn't avoid the inevitable for very much longer.

        "Alice, are you alright?"

        Why did he keep asking that? No, I'm wasn't alright. I was far from alright - I was going to be spending practically all of my time at stupid Disneyland, dressed as a stupid Disney princess, singing stupid songs about stupid love that didn't even exist. Suffice to say, I'd decidedly hit a personal low. "I'm fine, let's just go," I grumbled as he took my hand again and quickened our pace. I didn't try to stop him this time - we were supposed to be a couple, and I was supposed to stay at his side all day like some sort of lapdog. The long locks of blonde hair that had been braided to my ankles trailed behind me annoyingly, making it a lot harder to run than I'd expected. 

        (At least they'd allowed me to wear shoes - from the picture I saw of this girl, she didn't own a pair in her entire wardrobe. Then again, if I'd lived in a tower for my whole life, I'd probably spend my time barefoot in sweatpants, too.)

        As my costume gathered more sweat from the running, I made my way backstage with Will - or should I say Flynn? - at my side. In a flash, a wireless mic was taped to my cheek, the stage manager was calling places, and Will was telling me to remember to smile. There were three levels on the stage, and from the left wing I could just make out Kelly (Pocahontas Wednesday through Friday, Dressing Room 3B) singing Colours of the Wind at the top. I watched as Kelly ran off after her song, and a girl who played Mulan took the stage, belting out Reflection as pink flower petals float down to the stage.