❝oh my disney❞ » chapter nine

"People make bad choices when they're mad or scared or stressed." - Frozen

        WE SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN UP on security busting us so fast.

        The second the words slipped out, I looked up to find that Max wasn't looking at me anymore - he was looking behind me, where a group of angry looking Disneyland security members were ready to drag us out of the building. We weren't fired - and I was somewhat thankful for that - but we were sent back to our posts with a stern, "don't let it happen again," thrown our way. I signed about fifty more autographs and took about twice as many pictures with Will before changing and heading to my usual car that took me home every night. It felt sort of strange having a car that drove me to and from work - but since I was one of the youngest staff members, I was pretty much one of the only ones without a car. Still quietly humming the tune of "Beauty And The Beast", I hopped into the backseat with a dumb smile plastered on my face, and all the while, I couldn't stop thinking about Max.

        I kept wondering if it had been the right choice to tell him that I was ready to reveal the real reason why I hated Disney so much. He'd had me in such a good mood - and I would have ruined all of it if we hadn't been thrown out so quick. Part of me was glad that I'd never had the chance to say what I wanted to - I probably wouldn't admit the happy trance I was in, even as I walked up my front steps and had changed into my night dress, about to flop onto my bed with a yawn when my phone started to ring, and I was pulled out of it. "Hello?" I asked, trying not to sound as tired and stupid as I knew I would. If it weren't bad enough that we'd been thrown out of the best - and admittedly least uninteresting - place that Max had ever taken me to, all of that dancing and sliding had really tired me out, and all I wanted now was to sleep.

        "Alice? Is that you?" A familiar (and attractively deep) voice responded.

        "Will?" I asked, my eyes widening despite my sleepiness. "It's almost midnight, what are you-"

        "Listen, I've got to get something off my chest," he interrupted, his voice sounding urgent. "I know that you've only been working here for a couple weeks - and that this is going to sound really crazy, considering that we haven't really spent that much time together as Alice and Will instead of Rapunzel and Flynn-"

        "Eugene," I corrected stupidly, thinking of what Max would say and smiling stupidly. 

        "Uh, right..." he sounded nervous - which I found hard to believe, because I was usually the one getting nervous around him, and in this case, we weren't even in the same room. "So anyway, I know that it's a really stupid thing to ask over the phone, but I couldn't find you earlier today, and I can't wait until tomorrow." Will took in a deep breath. "I know that you like to keep to yourself, and I'm totally cool with that - and I know that you aren't exactly enchanted by all of this Disney stuff. So, I'm hoping that it wouldn't be completely embarrassing if I went out on a limb and asked if you wanted to hang out with me... outside of work?"

        I was stunned. "Um, w-well I, uh... I-I just..." I stuttered, trying to come up with even a semi-articulate excuse, like I always did. It had been so much easier with Patrick and the others - I didn't care about them. But with Will, it was different - it wasn't that I liked Will, it was just that we were friends and colleagues, and I didn't want to screw everything up. How awkward would it be to have to pretend that we were in love with each other every day if our date was a disaster? I didn't want to take that chance - Will was funny and cool, and I didn't want to lose him as a friend just because he wanted to be more than that.