26. A Heart With No Beat...

Jeff's heart didn't beat. He had a heart with no beat. Does he even have a heart? I was speechless. I looked up at Jeff the Killer with a horrified expression written on my face. Jeff just cocked a brow and stared down at me in confusion.

"Y-you have no h-heart beat." I stuttered placing a hand on the part of his chest where his heart should be. Jeff stared at me for a few minutes wearing no expression at all.

"My heart lost it's beat years ago." He calmly answered. "How? What happened? Are you even human? What are you?" I felt fear taking over me as I struggled in his grasp. "Shhh......" He hushed letting me sit up in his lap. He leaned in so he could whisper in my ear. "I'll tell you everything." I just nodded in response. Jeff straightened up and took a breath. He sounded stressed that he was about to tell me about his past.

"I used to be human years ago. I lived with my little brother Liu, and mother and father. We moved to a new neighbourhood and that's when things started to change. One day at the bus stop, we met 3 bullies named Randy, Keith and Troy." Jeff's grip around my waist started to tightened and I saw insanity in his eyes. "What annoying pieces of shit they were. They wouldn't leave me and my brother alone, so guess what?" Jeff's grip on my waist grew so strong, his fingernails started to dig into my flesh. "I bet them up, I wished I could've got rid of them before but they got lucky." He growled. I whimpered at the tight stinging pain on my waist. When Jeff noticed his grip loosened completely and he continued the story.

"The next day, the cops arrived at our house, hearing about our little fight with Randy and his fellow dicks. To my surprise and shock, Liu took the blame. I cried out 'It was me!' but the cops didn't even care and took Liu away to Juvy. So I was stuck on my own with Randy and his fellow dicks." Jeff let out a huff. So Liu took the blame for the fight? Why? He must've loved his brother dearly to do something like that. "About a week later, I had been invited to a random kids' birthday party. My mother forced me to go so I didn't have a choice. But when we arrived, I saw Randy and his gang." Jeff sighed. I could tell he didn't enjoy talking about his past but I knew he wished to talk about it with someone to help get it off his shoulders.

"I was about to take them before they pulled out guns and threatened everyone to stay out of our fight. Even I feared them, for once. Of course, it felt as something took over me as I easily dodged their bullets and fought them. I didn't last long before they covered me in bleach and set me alight." Jeff's head bowed as he went over the painful memories. His screaming echoing in his ears. I knew he was going through emotional pain. I pitied him. Who wouldn't?

"I awoke in the hospital, feeling different." Jeff suddenly carried on. "I felt great. It was a strange feeling but I liked it. My vision was black until the I felt as if bandages were coming off my face. Right before me was my family, including Liu. They all stared at me looking like they'd seen a ghost. They gave me and when I saw my new appearance, I-I started laughing. It turned into an uncontrollable laughter. I looked perfect. Absolutely perfect." Jeff started to smile and giggled a little.

"They asked the doctor if I was okay and the doctor said I was fine. I agreed with the doctor. I looked better than before but it felt like I was missing something. I couldn't quite put my finger on it." "What was it?" I asked interrupting the story. Jeff put a finger to his lips and said: "Wait." I obeyed and waited for him to continue. "That night. I just couldn't stop staring at the mirror. I kept saying to myself I was beautiful, perfect. I kept feeling my face but I was missing something. I just wanted to star at myself forever." Jeff kept smiling and felt face with a pale white hand.

"When everyone had gone asleep, I finally found out what I was missing, a smile. I grabbed a knife and cut my face into a beautiful smile. Of course it hurt like Hell but I laughed it off. That woke my mother and when she saw me, she was terrified. All the color drained from her face and I saw her about to faint. She asked me what I was doing and I only replied with 'I made myself fully beautiful, mommy'. She didn't like the answer and starting backing away from me like I was the predator and she was the prey. I asked her if I was beautiful and she nodded rapidly, fear showing all over her face. She told me with a stutter that she would go get my father so she could show me to him. I let her but when I found her, she was telling him to call the police." Jeff said.

Jeff's hands curled into fists and he starting baring his teeth. "My mother lied to me. I couldn't let her do that so, I put her and my father to sleep and made them beautiful like me." Jeff's fists unclenched and he started to calm down. "I went to my little brother's bedroom. He waas still sleeping so I jumped on top of him and tried to plunge the knife into his beating heart. He wrestled against me but as I always won our little play fights. I plunged the knife into his heart and whispered 'Go To Sleep, Liu.'. After that, I ran out of the house and towards the woods where no one would track me down. I was panting heavily, when I put my hand over my heart. I heard no heart beat." A tear ran down Jeff's face as he explained the story. I was simply shocked. How could he kill his own brother, his mother and father?

"I was beautiful indeed and perfect. People would always call me a heartless monster while I would always laugh at that. But the truth is. I am heartless. I have no heart. I save them when I call me a monster. I just couldn't understand humans." Jeff said sadly. Jeff looked down at me, his eyes teary and full of sadness and regret. He softly grabbed my hand and put it in both of his. "Y/N I don't know what I am, but all I know is that I'm not human. Not anymore. Please, will you help me?" He asked in a sad tone. Help him? How can I help him? He either doesn't have a heart or his heart has stopped beating for good. Wait for good? No. There must be a way to make human again. Make him feel human again. As I once quoted.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I took a breath. Am I making the right choice?

"Yes." I answered with a confident nod.