02 / strawberry shakes

"GOSH, HE BEGGED you to take him back?" Katrina Burman stuffed a fry into her mouth, a bit of ketchup sticking to her lips

They were in Verona's favorite restaurant, a little diner she loved to frequent. Verona and Katrina had made a tradition of spontaneous adventures to the diner, whether after a long week or a bad day or just to catch up. She had grown to love the late-night talks with Katrina—both Katrina and she were frank and honest, which resulted in a lot of meaningful conversations. Katrina tended to be overdramatic and overeager, but she was also transparent. . Her transparency was probably one of the main reasons why Verona trusted her so much—Verona valued it above anything.

"Yeah, and then he called me heartless." 

Verona had long ago learned to not let people's words bother her. While her mentality lessened the sting, there was still a certain bite that came with what others thought.

Katrina gasped, "Oh no, he didn't!"

"Yeah, and then I was like I only care about things worth caring about, and you are not on that list."

Katrina gasped again, "Oh no, you didn't!"

Verona smiled, "Oh, yes, I did."

"Verona Wang: savage extraordinaire." Katrina nodded in approval. 

Verona absentmindedly bit into another fry, "And then he thought that Roman and I were a thing again."

Katrina smirked at this, giving Verona a side-eyed look that she was all too familiar with. 

"What?" Verona protested.

"Jordan Myers is a jealous jerk, but he has eyes."

Verona shook her head, "Nothing's going on with Roman and me."

Katrina smiled knowingly, "Sure. And that's why you hate Emilia Atwood."

"I don't hate Emilia!"

"And that's why you look like you're about to throw up whenever she walks by, huh?"

Emilia Atwood was Roman's current girlfriend. She was dainty and sweet, the complete opposite of Verona. Verona wasn't sure how Roman scored her, but he was oddly sweet and gentle with her.

Emilia was also probably the nicest and kindest person in all of the school. She had petals for a heart while Verona had thorns for a spine. Emilia was a water lily while Verona was a prickly rose. Emilia was the soft tinkling of a melody, the bright glissando on a piano, while Verona was a stormy Beethoven piece, the tempest in the wind. 

Verona hated to admit it, but she tended to compare herself to Emilia sometimes. Maybe it was because they were just opposites, but sometimes, she did have a bit of curiosity in how it would be to be less like herself and more like Emilia.