22 / the world

"THANK YOU for coming. Really thank you." Verona said to Leo in a low voice.

 She kept her eyes on the road in front of her, giving a glance to Emilia in the backseat. Emilia had her head leaned against the window of the car, her eyes shut. Verona had turned down her music, leaving it as a gentle rumbling in the background to not disturb Emilia. 

Emilia had fallen asleep right away on their way to pick up Leo. It had been a long day for both of them- checking with Verona's parents it was okay for Emilia and her brother to stay with them, setting them up a space for them to sleep in, dropping off Emilia's brother at Verona's house. 

"It's no problem really." Leo told her, keeping his voice quiet as well, "What else was I going to do at home? I hear the best cure for a broken heart is distraction anyways." 

"Leo-" 

"I'm just kidding. Don't think of yourself so highly. You didn't break my heart. Having a big head is bad, V." 

"I'm sorry, Leo." 

"Don't be. A hot guy like me will have lots of girls signing up for a chance with the Galileo Winters." Verona kept her eyes on the road, but she could hear the teasing smile in his voice. 

She gave a short, relieved laugh. She didn't know how much of his flippancy was an act for her sake, but she was grateful for it. She didn't have a problem with breaking up with people she didn't care about, but Leo had always been a friend and special to her. 

"Anyways, what did you even need me here for?" Leo asked. 

"We need help moving Emilia and her brother's stuff." 

"And you didn't ask Roman?" Leo questioned, a bit surprised, "Are you saying that you guys thought I was more buff than Roman?" He said teasingly. 

"You wish you were more buff." Verona gave a slight sigh. She lowered her voice, "Emilia just broke up with him this morning." 

"Oh." Leo's surprise was evident, "She broke up with him?" 

"Yeah, she did." 

"Dang, girl." Leo sounded impressed, "Strong, independent woman right there." 

"She is." Verona smiled, "She'll be okay." 

"Then where does that leave you? Roman is single now." Leo asked. 

"It leaves us where he and I were always. Friends." 

Leo gave a wistful sigh, "I never stood a chance against him, you know. Friends? I think you guys are more like soulmates. You two just click." 

"It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how well we get along or understand each other." Verona gripped her steering wheel a little tighter, "It doesn't matter when he doesn't put effort in, when he doesn't give himself." 

Leo was quiet for a moment before replying, "Verona, you deserve someone who gives you the world." 

"I never wanted the world though." 

~

"YOU ALL SET?" Leo asked Emilia, reaching over for the bags in her hands. 

"I think so." Emilia gave a glance around her house, a wistful look settling over her expression. "I wish it didn't have to be like this." She admitted.

Verona gave her a sympathetic smile, "You'll be okay though." 

"I wish my dad wasn't like this." Emilia's voice was low as she blinked back stray tears. 

"But it's not your fault that he's like this." Leo told her, surprisingly firm, "It's not your job to make him change."

Emilia nodded slightly at his words. 

"What are you going to do? Are you going to leave him a note?" 

Emilia shrugged, "He'll come home after work and probably won't notice his kids missing. I'll still write him a note though." 

Emilia gave another look around her house, "I'm going to miss this place. It's the only place my family ever lived. Before everything fell apart." 

"I'll bring these out to the car." Leo waved around the bags in his hands. 

"Yeah, we'll give you a minute." Verona said, following Leo out. 

"And after you're done, I'll even buy you both a hot choco." Leo grinned at Emilia, "I don't buy a hot choco for just anyone." 

Emilia smiled gratefully at both of them, "Thank you both so much." 

Verona followed him out to the car, sliding into the driver's seat. They sat in silence, watching the trees rustle in the wind. 

Verona reached for her phone, typing out a text to Roman. 

Let's talk. Roasted Bean in 1 hr? 

His reply came back instantly. 

K, see you :)