13 / missing him

important question: how long should this book be? will 30 chapters be too long? would anyone even read dis lol?

   VERONA FLICKED a piece of her hair that had slipped out of her bun. She was squeezed against the window in Roman's five-seater next to Emilia.

   Roman's dad hummed jovially next to Roman in the front seat, his little sister on the other side of Emilia. Roman's dad had to use the car to drive Roman's sister to dance practice, so he was dropping off Roman, Emilia and Verona at the restaurant.

   "Can't believe Leo's going to be back. When was the last time you saw him? Two years ago?" Mr. Caccavale  asked gruffly.

   "Yeah." Roman nodded.

   "Who's Leo anyways?" Emilia asked curiously.

   "Like. The hottest guy ever." Rory, Roman's sister, cut in with a dreamy gaze in her eyes, "Like a cross between the Sprouse twins and Leonardo Di Caprio."

   "Excuse me?" Roman glanced back at his sister in mock hurt, his eyes dancing in the fading sunset. For a moment, Roman's hair was caught in the sunlight, shining like a halo beneath the sky.

   "I thought I was the hottest guy ever." Roman said.

   "Nah." Verona shrugged. "Don't kid yourself."

   "If I remember correctly, you chose me over Leo."

   "No, I didn't." Verona scoffed, "I would never leave that fine piece of Leo Winters for you."

   "Pft." Roman adjusted a pair of aviator sunglasses that he propped on his nose
He turned around with a smirk on his face, "You're just jealous you aren't as hot as me."

   "You're not even hot, Roman." Rory scoffed, giving a low high five to Verona.

   "Emilia? What do you think?" Roman winked at his girlfriend, "If you don't say I'm hot, I'll be very betrayed."

   Emilia smiled lightly, "I'm on Roman's side for this one. You're very hot."

   "That's cause she's biased. She has to say you're hot cause you're her boyfriend." Rory sniffed haughtily, "It's two against two for this one. Dad? You're the tie breaker."

   "Yeah, you're going to say that your only son is the hottest human in this car, right?" Roman chimed in.

   Mr. Caccavale kept his eyes on the road, "Be quiet. I'm driving."

   He paused for a moment before saying, "For the record, I'm the hottest in this car."

   The car dissolved in a mix of laughter, protests, and hoots.

~~~

    "HOW'RE YOU feeling?" Roman murmured quietly to Verona, catching her elbow in his band. Emilia had walked into the restaurant, claiming to need to use the bathroom, leaving Roman and Verona trailing behind.

   Roman normally shied away from topics such as emotions. Emotions were too soft and delicate for him; emotions were like glass kneading in his hands. and he oftentimes broke things rather than fixed them. Roman didn't deal in emotions- he thought of himself of a harbinger of black and white, angles and lines.

   But for him, talking about emotions with Verona was easier than anyone else. There was something simple about being open with someone who had seen your soul.

   "Scared." Verona admitted, "Mainly, I'm scared how he's changed. Like, if we could fit back together. You know the feeling of when you miss someone even though they're still there, but not?"

   "All the time." Roman replied, his gaze lingering on Verona, an unfamiliar lump in his throat. 

   "It's really stupid, but I've missed him for so long. What if he hasn't missed me back?"

   "Then he's an idiot for not missing you. A fool." Roman replied, his usual edge in his voice missing as he regarded the girl next to him.

   "I just don't know how to feel about this." Verona admitted, "I don't like feeling unsure."

   "You got me." Roman cleared his threat after, realizing how sentimental he sounded, "You're lucky you got me, too. This hot piece of meat at your side."

   Verona gave a breezy laugh, shoving Roman gently, "Oh, shut up."

   "Never."

~~~