14 / galileo

VERONA SAW him at a distance, seated at the restaurant table, chatting amiably with Katrina

   He looked the same, but different somehow. In her grasp again, but beyond it as well. Was this what time felt like? 

   He was taller, no longer as clean shaven as before. He had a hint of scruff along his jawline. His blonde hair was mussed and longer than she had ever seen it, curling in the back of his head. Somehow, he looked older but still boyish at the same time.

   She swallowed anxiously. It was ridiculous how nervous she was about seeing Leo again- this was a boy she had kissed, danced with. This was a boy that had seen all of her, but it was somehow terrifying to see him again and not know who he was anymore. 

    In this moment, she could feel the crevice that time had carved between the two of them. Somehow, those two years and hundreds of miles had drawn out light years between the two of them. 

   "Go." Roman gave her a gentle push in Leo's direction.

   She stumbled across, somehow making in front of him without tripping. She wondered if she looked okay, if she had changed at all, and she wondered if she wanted to have changed at all. 

   Katrina caught a glance of her, murmuring an excuse to Leo about going to the bathroom, leaving the two of them alone. Katrina shot Verona a wink as she left, nodding encouragingly.

   "Galileo Winters." Verona greeted, a smile blossoming across her face like a rose blooming in the spring. 

   A warmth spread through her chest, creeping into her heart. Verona remembered that they were friends far before they had been lovers, and her worries trickled away from her. 

   "Verona Wang." He smiled down at her, the boyish charm appearing as he wrapped his arms around her in a brief hug. 

   "Damn." She laughed, looking up at him, "You're so much taller now."

   "You're still as short." Leo replied, a twinkle dancing in his eyes. 

   "I'm not that short! Five foot four!"

   "Five foot four?" Leo raised a dubious eyebrow at her, seeing through her lie. 

   "Fine." She admitted reluctantly, "Five foot three and three quarters."

   "Liar." He laughed before pulling her in for another hug, "I kinda missed you."

   "You better." She murmured, shutting her eyes in his embrace.

   "How've you been?" Leo grinned, letting go of her, "Dated anyone after me, or you were too heartbroken after I left?"

   "You shitface." Verona lightly punched Leo's arm, "Can't believe you left without saying bye. Sophomore me was very distraught."

   "In my defense, I didn't know I was moving!"

   "Still a shitface." Verona shrugged. 

   Leo caught a glance of someone heading their direction over Verona's shoulder. His face brightened immediately.

   "Caccavale!" He cried out at the sight of his old best friend. 

   "Winters. What's up?" Roman and Leo greeted each other with thumps on the shoulder.

   "Verona's giving me shit on my leaving two years ago."

   "Oh yeah, remind me to beat the crap out of you for pulling that shit on me and Rona." Roman said good naturedly. Emilia was at his side, smiling pleasantly.

   "Whatever." Leo replied. He turned to Emilia, smiling politely in his own charming way, "Hi, I don't think I've met you before. I'm Leo Winters. I used to be friends with these two idiots."

   "Actually, he's Galileo Winters." Verona cut in.

   "Don't call me Galileo please." Leo insisted, "Hate it."

   "I'm Emilia. I'm Roman's girlfriend. It's very nice to meet you." Emilia and Leo shook hands.

   "So how long did it take for you and Ver to break up?" Leo teased Roman. 

   "Longer than you and her did." Roman shot back with a grin, "Cause I didn't leave without telling anyone." 

   "Yeah, well Kat told me that it was so bad that she ended up dating Jordan Myers after you." Leo replied humorously.

   "At least I didn't leave in the middle of the night without telling anyone."

   "How long are you going to milk that?" Leo complained, "I sent you postcards."

   Verona cut in, "I didn't even know those were from you. Your handwriting is so bad."

   "Hey! Aren't any of you glad I'm back? This is turning into a shame-on-Leo fest, not a welcome home thing."

   "Whatever." Verona and Roman chorused together, laughing. 

    It was good to see Leo again. 

~~~