20 / bleeding rose

VERONA'S HEART thumped from beneath her palm. Her fingers felt each steady pulse beneath her skin. How could her heart beat so steadily but love so uncontrollably? 

As Verona lay awake in her bed, eyes wide open, she wondered to herself how things had lead to this. She had always prided herself on separating mind and feelings, brain and heart, but now, her heart had grown wild. From a quiet, steady tree, her heart had become a bleeding rose- a thorny, fragrant rose with red velvet petals.

"I brought you flowers." Roman gave her a bashful smile right before sneezing. 

Verona peeked a slight grin at him before frowning, "You shouldn't have gotten me flowers when your allergies suck like that." 

"It's worth it." He sniffled, wiggling his nose itchily. 

Verona took the bouquet of yellow tulips from him. "Tulips? I would've thought roses would fit me more." 

"Maybe." Roman said with a wicked twinkle in his eyes, "Prickly, thorny. That sounds like you." 

Verona lightly punched Roman's arm with a mock scowl. 

Roman continued, the mischievous look on his face turning sincere, "But I think yellow tulips fit us more. I like the meaning of them." 

"What do they mean?" She asked curiously. Verona never had been the type of girl to like flowers, but she did like meaningful gifts. 

"They used to mean hopeless love." He said, reaching around her to catch her in an embrace, "But now they mean perfect love. A perfect cheerful love. That sounds nice, right? From being hopeless to hopeful." 

Verona beamed up at him, "I like that." 

Verona blinked away the memory of Roman. 

She knew then that the bleeding rose didn't belong to Leo- it had never belonged to him. It had always been Roman's. It had been a matter of her accepting the fact that sometimes, heart can't be controlled by mind. 

She reached for her phone, dialing numbers from memory, from the many times she had called Leo. 

"Hey." Leo yawned a greeting. 

"Hi, Leo. Sorry I'm calling you so late." Verona gave a glance at the clock, "I wanted to talk to you." 

"That's okay. You wouldn't call me this late unless it was urgent." He replied, his voice low and groggy. 

"Sorry about not being able to make dinner." She apologized, "I was with Roman." 

"Oh, don't apologize. I totally forgot today was his birthday when we made plans." Leo replied. 

There was a beat of silence as Verona shut her eyes, unsure of what to say next. 

"Leo?" 

"What, V?" 

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I can give you a second chance." She told him, her voice shaking slightly.

"Oh." 

"I'm really sorry. I want to, but I don't think I can. It's unfair to you if my heart isn't mine to give." 

There was another break of quietness over the phone, with only Leo's breathing filling the silence. 

"I understand." He finally said. "I'll be okay." 

"Really? Are you sure?" 

"No." Leo admitted, "It hurts like hell right now." 

"I'm sorry." 

"Don't be." he replied sincerely. 

"Let's stay friends?" She asked hopefully. 

"Okay." He breathed out a long winded sigh, "I'm going to go back to sleep now." 

"Good night, Leo." Verona whispered into the phone. 

"Verona?" 

"Yes?" 

"I hope he treats you well." Leo drew in a sharp breath, "I hope he uses his third chance well." 

"I hope so too."

~