21 / you

"SO?" Katrina prompted. 

"I made up my mind." Verona told her. The two of them were slumped lazily on Katrina's bed, with bowls of mint chocolate chip ice cream in their hands. 

"I told Leo I can't give him another chance." Verona said, "It wasn't fair to him." 

"So what about Roman? Are you choosing Roman then?" 

"You were right." Verona sighed, "He shouldn't have been an option at all. He isn't an option. I was letting my feelings control me. Just because I have feelings doesn't mean I should act on them."

Verona spooned a chunk of ice cream into her mouth, squeezing her face when the brain freeze hit her. 

Katrina gave a short laugh at her reaction before turning serious again, "What about if Emilia and Roman break up?" 

Verona considered it for a moment before shaking her head, "I really don't know." 

"I know Roman still feels something for you. I think he cares for you in a way he could only feel about you." 

"I know." Verona said, "And I feel the same way about him. But I really don't know what I would do if Roman and Emilia break up." 

"Why?" 

Verona sighed, "You know how your fingers have muscle memory when you play piano? The heart is a muscle too. Everytime, my heart remembers how much it hurt because of him." 

"Maybe it'll learn to forget." 

"Maybe. But not right now. Right now, it still hurts." 

~~~

"THANKS FOR coming here." Emilia said to Verona from across the cafe table.  Emilia's expression was unreadable- she had been wearing a pair of oversized, dark sunglasses for the time the two had set foot into the cafe. 

Verona wrapped her hand around her matcha latte- she normally didn't like warm drinks, but she felt as though this was an occasion where she would need a bit of warmth beneath her palms. Emilia had never called her to hang out or anything. Maybe Verona was a bit paranoid, but anything out of the ordinary made her wary. 

"I'm happy to." Verona replied, fidgeting with her cup, "Why'd you call me out?" 

The corner of Emilia's lips tilted up ever so slightly, "You're always so straight to the point." Emilia's voice was steady, "I wanted to thank you." 

"What for?" Verona asked, furrowing her brows. If anything, Verona felt a bit guilty for the thanks. Emilia was thanking her, and Verona still had feelings for Roman. 

"For the bit of kindness you've shown me. I know to you, it's probably only tutoring, but for me, it meant so much more." Emilia continued, "Ever since I've been dating Roman, you haven't hesitated to try and include me." 

Verona blinked at her, a bit flabbergasted. 

"To me, I'll always remember it. Especially since I know how hard it must've been for you." Emilia added, "Since you still have feelings for Roman." 

"Emi-"

"I'm not mad or anything. Don't worry." Emilia took a deep shuddering breath, "I think I'm going to break up with him." 

"What?" Verona's voice cracked, "Why are you breaking up with him?" 

"Not because of you." Emilia reached her hand up to grip her sunglasses, "It's because I think it's the right thing to do." 

Emilia pulled off her sunglasses, revealing a large swelling bruise around her right eye. Verona's mouth dropped at the sight. It was hideous physically, but something in Verona's heart broke. There was the pain physically, but it must hurt so much more emotionally. 

"I think it's time for me to save myself." Emilia's voice was low and quiet, "I never said or did anything because he's my dad. He was never like this. Not before he lost his job or before my mom died." 

"Emilia." Verona's eyes welled up with tears. She reached her hands out, gripping Emilia's hands gently. 

"But I can't do this. It's not my fault. I can't live like this anymore. My brother shouldn't have to live with this." 

"What are you going to do?" Verona asked. Her heart clenched for Emilia so much. 

In a way, Verona felt as if a bucket of cold water had been poured over her. All this time she had been thinking about Leo and Roman and her own heart, she hadn't noticed something so much more serious. 

"I don't know." Emilia admitted, "My only other family is my aunt, but she's a wanderer. I don't know where in the world she is." 

"You can stay with my family." Verona blurted out. She didn't know if it was because of sympathy or guilt, or probably a mixture of both, "My family would be happy to honestly." 

"Verona, really you don't-" 

"Where else are you going to go? My house has plenty of space anyways. Really." 

Emilia smiled, "Thank you." 

"What else do you need help with?" 

Emilia's smile faded, "Just one more thing."