03 / gone with the wind

"GONE WITH the wind? Really, V?"  Roman slammed the car door behind him

It was a Saturday afternoon, and Roman had asked her to pick him up after swim practice. Grudgingly, Verona had rolled out of bed before noon to pick him up. 

   Verona didn't look up from the pages, "Don't judge." 

   "Says the biggest judge of all." He snorted.

   "You're more judgey." 

   "You're the most judgey." 

   "Roman, if you aren't going to shut up, leave. Go walk home, okay?" 

   "Fine, whatever, I'll shut up." 

    There was a beat of silence with only the sound of page-turning filling the car. Verona enjoyed the silence between Roman and her—she didn't feel like she had to fill it with meaningless chatter. With some people, she felt like there was a certain necessity of conversation or else it would be awkward. But Verona appreciated when she was comfortable and familiar with someone that there was no need for talking.

   "Rhett reminds me of you." She commented absently. 

   "I have no idea who Rhett is," Roman replied, slurping his drink. 

   "Of course you don't." Verona sighed, "It's because you're an idiot that doesn't read."

   "Don't call me an idiot. You're the real idiot here." Roman retorted.

   "Go walk home then since I'm such an idiot." Verona dared him.

   "Okay, okay. I'll just shut up then."

    "Yeah, that's the only time you don't sound stupid."

    "Ouch, Rona." Roman sighed in mock hurt, clutching his heart dramatically.

     "Don't be such a drama queen," Verona replied, flipping the page of her book. "Can I have some of you drink? I'm thirsty." Verona held her hand out for it. 

   "You insulted me a minute ago." Roman shot Verona a peeved look.

   "You insulted me first." 

   "Shut up." 

   "No, you shut up." 

   "Go walk home then." Verona threatened, "I demand payment for my chauffeuring."

   Roman sighed reluctantly, "Fine. Only two sips." 

   Verona replied with the sound of her loud, exaggerated slurping. 

   "That was more than two sips!" Roman protested. 

   "That was two extra-large sips!" Verona replied haughtily.

    "Ugh." 

   "Shut up, I'm trying to read." 

~~~