Chapter 6: Closer

Mack

I open my eyes after a long sleep and I turn over hoping to come face to face with Kaden. Unfortunately, all I see is an empty side of the bed with a letter perfectly placed on the pillow. I rub the sleep from my eyes before snatching the paper up.

My eyes skim along the words that Kaden wrote to me.
'Dear Mack, I'm sorry I couldn't be here when you woke up. I had some King responsibilities to tend to, one's of which I couldn't get out of. I hope you had a wonderful sleep and I'll talk to you later today. I love you.'

I yawn and reluctantly slip out of bed, out of the comfort of the bed. I make my way to the bathroom to freshen up because of the activities that occurred last night.

I change into a dark blue sweater and sweatpants after my shower because I don't have to look good everyday.

I walk out of the bathroom in time to hear my phone ding. I search around the floor for it and find it still in my pants pocket. I take it out and pick up the rest of the clothing to dump them in the laundry hamper.

Alex texted me and he wants to have breakfast with me today. I bite my lip as I contemplate what to do. Kaden did say he would be busy most of the day so he won't have to find out. I text him back and agree to meet him in town for brekfast. Speaking of which I should better have something to drink before I head out. I wouldn't want to be hungry when I see him, I can already feel it climbing up my insides.

I put my phone away in my pocket and grab my sunglasses before leaving the room.

I walk down the hallway and down the stairs with several vampires stop and bow or just nod as they continue walking. It's honestly really weird and I don't know if I can get used to it.

I walk into the kitchen and there are a few people who are in there. They cease what their doing and turn to me.

"Do you need something, your Highness?" One of them ask, expectantly.

"Umm, I want a glass of blood."

They all rush to give me what I asked for but only one is successful and they hand it to me. "Thank you."

They nod and everyone else gets back to what they were doing before I entered. I drink down the glass and put it in the dishwasher. I leave the kitchen, checking to make sure I have no blood around my mouth in a mirror. When I see none, I continue to the door and slip outside.

I slip on my sunglasses and walk into town.

•••

Alex wanted to meet at someplace called Sunrise. Upon hearing the name, I wondered who came up with it as it's not very creative and if there would be any people.

I am stand-corrected when I walk in and see almost all the tables, booths, and everywhere to sit filled.

A perky teenage girl greets me at the door in Romanian and I tell her I speak English.

"Sorry," she apologizes with a giggle. "Welcome to Sunrise. How many?"

"I'm actually here with someone else, he should be here already," I say looking around the restuarant trying to spot him.

"What's his name?"

"Alex."

Out of the corner of my eye I see her scanning the podium as I scan the restaurant for the second time.

"Oh, I found him," she exclaims grabbing a menu. "Follow me."

I turn my attention to her and obey.

She leads me to a booth on the other side of the restaurant the entrance was on and I see a familiar head of dark hair.

"Here you go," she says and I sit down as she places the menu in front of me.

"Thank you," I tell her.

"Glad you could make it, Red," Alex says while he looks over the menu.

"I wasn't doing anything today anyways," I say, leaving my menu untouched.

"That's I bummer, here's hoping you cancelled something to see incredible me."

"No sorry."

"So what do you think looks good?"

"I don't know, I haven't looked at the menu."

"Are you not hungry?"

"No, of course I am," I lie.

I can't tell him that I'm not hungry or any versions of that because I did agree to have breakfast with him. I guess I'll have to take a trip to the washroom later. I just feel so sad that I can't even eat the food at the restaurant that my friend wanted us to go to.

Our waitress approaches our table and we give her our order. I just pick something relatively small on the menu.

•••

It's later in the day and Alex and I are walking through the streets laughing and talking.

We come to a park and I sit down on an unoccupied seat with Alex following me.

I look over at the children playing around the slide and I feel my heart strings pulling.

"Mack?" Alex asks loudly.

I look over. "Yes, what did you need?"

"I was asking what movie you like but I got worried when you stared off into space."

"I'm sorry. I don't really have a favourite movie but I like classic horror movies. What about you?"

My phone starts to ring and I pull it out of my pocket quickly. I see Kaden on the screen.

"I'm sorry I have to take this," I tell him standing up and walking away.

I answer the call and put it to my ear.

"Are you okay?" Kaden questions before I can say anything.

"I'm fine, don't worry," I reassure him and it's the truth.

"Where are you?"

"I'm in town."

"What are you doing there? Why didn't you leave a note or something?" Kaden asks quickly.

"I'm just getting fresh air, please don't worry. You worry too much as it is."

"Well as you know, I've never been in a relationship with anyone before you."

"I know and I'm sorry I didn't let you know, it was just sudden. I will tell you next time," I promise him.

"Who are you talking to, Mack?" Alex asks from behind me and I hang up rapidly.

"Just someone I'm close with," I answer.

"They're your partner?" He questions.

"I am dating them," I confirm, finally realizing that I can't keep this secret anymore and leading Alex on.

"I-M--" Alex starts.

Before I can react his lips are on mine. I don't kiss back and awkward pull away.

"Why did you kiss me?" I ask, shocked.

"Because I would never get another chance," he says before walking away from me.

I feel guilty as he walks away and I don't turn the opposite way until I can no longer see him. I spend the rest of the day sulking and walking around the town by myself.

__________________

A/N: Thoughts on Kaden's letter to Mack? Mack meeting Alex for breakfast? Kaden's call? Alex kissing Mack? Mack's guilt?

Predictions?