Chapter 9: Visitation

A/N: The bar Mack ventured to a few weeks ago^^^
_______________

Mack

Kaden has left for the airport and the country a few hours ago. I'm currently in his office, playing a game of solitaire on his computer. Before Kaden left, he gave me strict instructions not to touch the files on his desk, emails, or even pick up the phone. Therefore, playing a game on his computer is technically allowed. I understand why he would not trust me, because I have never sat in his room let alone discuss business matters while here.

There is a quiet knock on my door as I win another game.

"Come in," I yell.

The door creaks as it opens. "Oh, Mack," a female voice says, clearly surprised to see me. "I was hoping King Kaden was here."

I turn around in the spinning chair and face a woman that I don't recognize. She has caramel coloured hair and olive skin. "No, Kaden left a while ago, so it's just me. Can I help you with something?" I shut off the computer and give her my attention.

"Not really," she says, politely and turns to leave, "I'll just be going."

"But there is something you need help with," I exclaim, standing up from the chair.

"It's just ... King Kaden's mother is here and she wishes to speak with him."

"Why can't she speak with me?"

"No offence, sir, but if Kaden has not told the kingdom about you since a few weeks ago, I doubt he's told his mother."

"Well, I can meet her and I'll tell her."

"But Mack--"

"Just bring her in."

She exasperates. "Very well, I'll get her."

She quickly leaves the room and returns a few minutes later with a woman with fine blonde hair trailing behind. She moves out of the way as Kaden's mother walks closer to the door.

"Who are you?" His mother asks. "I thought I was going to speak with Kaden."

"Well, King Kaden is currently unavailable right now, but I'm filling in for him until he comes back."

"Who are you, his assistant or servant?" She questions me bitterly.

"I'm actually neither, ma'am."

She crosses her arms over her chest. "Then who are you then?"

"I'm Kaden's boyfriend."

"Kaden does not have a boyfriend and if he did you would not be it."

"What's wrong with me?"

"Well, you are too young for my son and you are not dressed properly."

I look down at my jeans and sweatshirt, confidence wavering.

I look at her dead in the eyes. "I don't care what you say about me because I know that Kaden loves me."

"I think he feels pity for you."

"I feel pity for you, bitch," a familiar voice from behind this woman speaks.

Kaden's mother turns around to the voice, seeming startled.

"I don't care if you're Kaden's mother just leave," Devon says with her dyed hair on display.

She huffs but relevantly walks away.

Devon walks over to me. "Are you okay? She had no right to say those things to you. I know Kaden loves you and does not pity you."

"I know I should think that she is just wanting the best for her son but all I'm thinking is how much I despise her right now. Thanks for helping me."

"I could have done way worse if you asked," Devon says. "Hey, do you want to do something and get out of the castle?"

"Sure, what did you have in mind?"

"It's a surprise." Devon grabs my hand and we make our way downstairs.

"Where are you taking me?" I whine as she drags me down the street a few minutes later.

"I told you, it's a surprise," she tells me over her shoulder.

"Will I like this surprise?"

"I hope so."

Devon stops at the club escaped to a few weeks ago and takes me inside.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask her over the loud music.

"Well, Kaden's mother was hassling you and I thought you needed a breather," she explains.

"It's just last time I got drunk and it wasn't a very pleasant experience, so maybe I should leave."

Devon huffs. "Okay, no alcohol for you. Just stay."

I sigh. "Okay, fine. But just promise no alcohol."

A grin spreads to her face. "I promise." She skips over to the bar.

________________

A/N: Sorry this chapter took over a month to publish. Things will start to pick up soon.

Thoughts on Kaden's mother? Other thoughts? Predictions?