Chapter 7: Date

Mack

There is timid knocking on my door. I pause my music and take off my headphones before making my way to it.

I can smell Kaden's scent as I approach the door and I open it with no hesitation.

"Hey," I greet.

"Hello," he greets, playing with his fingers.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to ask you something." Kaden takes a shaky breath. "Would... y-you like to go out with me tomorrow night?"

My eyes widen and I brave myself by sitting on my bed. "Why?"

He walks over to me and sits down on the bed. "Because I like you."

I let a small smile appear on my face, deciding that this won't be as bad as I expect, but if it is then I won't have to speak to him again. I won't know unless I try. "I guess I'll go on a date with you."

"Great," Kaden says, standing from the bed and heading for the door, but turns around before he puts his hand on the doorknob. "I'll pick you up later, wear something formal."

"Okay," I say. "And I like you too," I mumble as the door closes behind him.

•••

I throw on my fanciest shirt I own as Kaden knocks on the door. I fumble with tucking my navy blue dress shirt into my black jeans as I glance at myself in the bathroom mirror. I take a fleeting look at the bottle of blue nail polish on the sink and ultimately pick it up.

I practically run to the door and open it quickly. Kaden is standing out there with a bouquet of red roses in his hands.

"I wanted to give you a gift," he admits, shyly, holding out the flowers for me to take.

I take them off his hands and speed into the washroom to quickly put them into some water.

I return to the door. "Are you ready to go?" Kaden asks me politely.

I nod and he holds out his hand which I take. He notices my nail polish, but doesn't comment. He just grips onto my hand tighter.

"Where would you like to go this evening?" He questions as I step out of my room and shut the door.

"I thought you already planned the night for us."

"I have, I just want to make sure the place will be your liking."

"I'm fine going anywhere, I'm not picky."

"Great to hear that."

We finally make it outside and the wind swirls around me and the fresh snow on the ground brings beauty to my eyes. I feel the chill of the air around my face but it doesn't bring me discomfort like it use to, when I was human. I sigh but my breath doesn't show.

Kaden leads me to a shiny black car. The man waiting by the car opens the door for us.

"You didn't have to do this for me," I tell him. "I would be fine walking."

"I just want to give you the best," Kaden says as the car lurches forward.

I don't respond to that and we stay quiet for the majority of the ride.

•••

The driver puts on his brakes a few minutes later and I perk up, hoping we're here. He opens his door and exits the vehicle. My door opens and the man gestures for me to exit. I obey him. I exit the car and Kaden is bot far behind me.

He walks around the car to join me and grabs my hand and leads me towards a building.

"I hope this isn't a place where you torture your victims," I joke. "That would be a horrible first date."

"No, I don't torture my victims here, this is a public building where humans come when its open."

Kaden pulls out a key and unlocks the door. "Luckily, I have a key."

He pulls me into the dark building and shuts onto the lights.

It's a skating rink.

"Wow, this is amazing thank you."

"I'm glad you like it."

"Yeah, it brings back some memories of--- yeah."

"I understand, you don't want to talk about them. Race you to the ice."

Kaden takes off using his super speed, but I'm quick to follow after him.

"Cheater!" I scream as he beats me.

"Did you want me to let you win?"

"It would of been nice."

He chuckles. "I think you let me win."

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. Who knows?"

Kaden runs to me and knocks me over, pining my hands. "Admit it or I'll torture you."

"Torture me how?" I question, trying to keep my laughs in.

"With fluffy bunnies."

I giggle. "Evil fluffy bunnies?"

Kaden grins. "Yes, exactly."

In one swift motion, I wrap my arms around him and bring him down to me where I peck his lips.

I pull away, but he holds me close where he kisses me again.

__________

A/N: Thoughts on Mack and Kaden's first date? Other thoughts? Predictions for future flashbacks in the book?