Chapter 16: The Response

Kaden

Returning to the castle, I enter my quiet office and collapse on my leather office chair and open my computer. My heart begins racing when seeing I have another email from King Ellis. He's responded to the phone call I gave him earlier. He says that he has much to tell me, but is uncomfortable sharing it over the phone.

I click on the reply button and type my response.

K: That is fine. I just want to gain whatever information I can.

King Ellis is quick with his response.

E: Ask what you want and I will attempt to answer.

I read the message and collect my jumble of questions into a cohesive flow of words that make sense.

K: Have you ever seen your partner with an individual that wore black glasses and had dark hair?

E: If he did, I've never seen them. He went missing out of nowhere and we looked everywhere for him, until we found his body on the edge of our property. There was no DNA on his body that was not his.

K: This psychopath seems to know what he's doing. I've went to the location he was last seen, but was unable to gain a track.

E: They know a lot about us. My partner wasn't the only vampire kidnapped. It's happened to other kingdoms across Europe.

K: It seems like they're picking us off one by one. Why start with our lovers?

Ellis doesn't respond for several minutes and I begin to worry until I hear a ding and a new message pops up.

E/A: Because you'll be so consumed with grief that you will do what I say. You wouldn't realize that that I am stalking you until it is too late.

K: What did you do with Ellis?

I bite my lip, feeling sadness erupt through my body. Ellis was one of my best friends and to think something happened to him is too much to bear.

E/A: He's dead. You're next. I just have to kill Mack and then I'll come for you.

I attempt to hide my emotions and don't let them show as I write the next email.

K: What's your name? Why are you doing this?

E/A: My name is Alex. I'm doing this because it's fun and because you can give me what I want. If you won't, I'll kill you and your boyfriend.

I sigh and roll my eyes as I write the next email. It's always the same in these situations, the killer always wants something.

K: What do you want, Alex?

E/A: Make me a vampire.

I shake my head and decide to tell Alex the truth rather than just flat out telling him no. He would know I'm hiding something anyways, if he's so knowledgeable of vampires so much to kidnap many of us.

K: We can't. Making a human a vampire is a criminal offense in the vampire world and you will be killed for doing such a thing.

E/A: Would you rather die by a bloodsucking vampire or a psychotic human?

K: Neither. I will find you and I will drain you dry.

My eyes flash a bright red at the thought of killing this individual and making sure he doesn't hurt anyone ever again.

E/A: Good luck with that. Many have tried, but none have succeeded. Just take Ellis as an example.

K: Don't overestimate Mack.

E/A: Ha. I've been studying him for months, I know everything about him.

K: Don't hurt him.

I've run out of brave responses and all I've come to is begging a human psychopath to take mercy on my boyfriend.

E/A: I already have. He's desiccating from a lack of human blood in his system. You can stop this if you agree to my terms, Kaden.

I grit my teeth.

K: Not going to happen. I'm done talking with you. I'm blocking you.

____________________

A/N: Another shortish chapter. I promise things will pick up in the next few chapters. Thoughts on Ellis dying? Thoughts on Alex's motivation? Predictions?