Chapter Eight

Meghan's P.O.V

I chew on the brownie in my hand and swing on the stool as I watch Hannah continue to bake the cookies that I asked her to make.

"So, how was school today?" Hannah asks, turning to me as she begins to play with the mixture of the cookies in the bowl. I take another bite of the brownie and shrug.

"Boring if I am being completely honest but then again, when is school ever fun?" I ask and Hannah chuckles.

"School isn't about having fun, it's about learning." Hannah explains and I roll my eyes, wanting to gag at the thought of me sitting in a classroom writing all the notes down and being a little good girl.

Oh dear lord.

"For some people, yeah, but for me, I don't think so." I say with a small grin and Hannah smiles, turning around so her back is facing me.

"Meghan, can I ask you a question?" Hannah asks and I take the last bit of the brownie into my mouth and hum a 'yes' in reply. Hannah begins to roll the dough into a ball before placing it onto a tray. When she is done, she claps her hands together and turns to me with the same smile.

"What do you want to be when you leave high school? Or maybe even college?" Hannah asks and I let out a short but loud laugh at the word 'college'.

"I hate high school so I don't even see why I would be going to college anyway. To answer your question though, I want to..." I stop, my answer immediately blowing away as I begin to think about the future.

What do I want to be? I mean, just because I am a bad girl, doesn't mean that I have to be a tattooist even though that does sound pretty cool. Only problem is... I can't draw.

Back onto the topic at hand though, what do I want to be? No one has ever asked me that question and when those words escaped Hannah's mouth, it seemed like I had everything planned and thats what I thought but now...

I don't know.

"I have no clue." I mumble, looking away from Hannah's eyes. In the corner of my eye, the smile that is on her face still stays and I can't help but look at her, sending her a confused frown.

"Why are you smiling?" I ask and Hannah takes a seat in front of me and crosses her arms on the table.

"Meghan, do you see the problem here?" Hannah asks and I nod.

"That I don't know what I am doing with my life and I should just go and die under a rock? Yeah, I noticed that." I say and Hannah chuckles, shaking her head.

"Thats not what I meant. You see, you know how you were saying before that school is boring and whatnot?" Hannah asks and I nod. "Well, do you think that wasting your time having fun at school is probably the reason why you don't know what you want to be?" Hannah asks and I roll my eyes.

"No way." I say and Hannah raises her eyebrow at me.

"Then what do you think is the reason?" Hannah asks and I don't reply as my thoughts begin to distract me. Out of all the thoughts that are spinning in my head, one catches my attention and I pause, my hands beginning to shake.

My mom.

You see, when I was young, my mom never cared about me or my brother. I realised this when she wrote a note of the fridge saying that she couldn't take care of my brother and I because it was all too much. That was when a man came to the house and took my brother away while a women took me to the place I now despise.

The orphanage.

Just like in the books, the orphanage was never the place anyone wanted to be. The people running the place were always judgemental. If you have a gap in your teeth, they would make you go last for everything like the bath, dinner, activities...

Unfortunately, when I was five, my two front teeth fell out and I was stuck being last for everything. No one liked me at the orphanage except for one girl. She had bright orange hair and electric blue eyes which are burnt into my mind. Her name was Mary and ever since we got paired up in the same room, we became best friends. She was the only friend I ever had in my life and I trusted her with all my heart.

Mary had explained to me that she was sent there because both of her parents died on a plane and docs had taken her here because no one wanted an 'ugly' girl with a birth mark covering half her face. To me though, she wasn't ugly at all which made me feel angry towards the people who teased her daily because of her birth mark.

That's when I started to get my strange behaviour. I hated the place, I hated the bullies and I hated my mom for treating my brother and I like shit. I acted out and thats when I knew I had to escape. I had told Mary about my plan but she didn't want to be apart of it becsuse it was too risky. After two nights of staying up and talking about the escape plan and what we would do after we had escaped, she finally agreed to do it.

It didn't go to plan though and ever since that day, I never let anyone stand in my way and feel like they could boss me around. I am my own person just like everyone else. I am allowed to live my life.

Back to the topic at hand, my mom never cared and when Hannah brought up the question about what I think is the reason about not knowing what I want to be, I immediately thought about my mom. I mean, she didn't give two fucks about my brother and I so why would she care about what I wanted to do? Well, if I knew what I wanted to do, of course.

"Meghan," I hear Hannah's voice say and I snap out of my thoughts, looking up at Hannah who is waving her hand in front of my face. She sends me a small smile and crosses her arms over the table.

"We will have our first session tonight, okay? I have a feeling that you have a lot of stuff on your mind." Hannah says and I nod slowly. She stands up and walks to the oven, checking on the cookies.

"Uh, Hannah?" I ask and she turns to me, the smile still on her face.

"Yes?" She asks and the image of Jake appears in my mind and I can't help but grin.

"Why is your son so damn good? Don't you let him be free once in a while?" I ask and Hannah let's out a laugh.

"Don't you dare get him into your evil schemes, Meghan. I like my boy the way he is and if he ever lays a hand on anything that you have touched, I will murder the both of you." Hannah says in a serious tone and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"I have a feeling he won't go anywhere near drugs, alcohol or bikes anyway so we are good." I say and Hannah nods.

"I know."

●●●

A/N - This chapter is just a filler so hopefully you guys still enjoyed it.

-XmysterysmileX