Part 8: You can't always walk away from me Draco

He looked at her angelic face and he felt relief flooding through him. He was having those nightmares again, where he would imagine Dark Lord wasn't dead and he was a Death Eater, again! The dreams were sufficient for him to be tortured.

He closed his eyes for a split second and convinced him that Hermione was not there, as he was imagining her like those dreams. However, she was not a nightmare, a peaceful dream.

He opened his eyes again to see her disappear into thin air, but to his surprise, she didn't. She was still sitting there, running her small hands through his sweaty hair, as if caressing a small baby.

"You were having a bad dream. You are all right Draco. I am here," she said with so much care in her voice. She really felt sorry for him. For the past few days, she felt like she started to know the real-Draco.

"I am fine." He sat up causing Hermione to withdraw her hand. "You may go now," he said, without sparing a glance at her. He couldn't be harsh to her now, at least not consciously. But he couldn't let himself feel for her, the way he wanted to.

He stood up and started to take steps towards his room.

"Draco," she called back him but was cut in the middle.

"Don't call me Draco, you are no close friend of mine to call me by my first name," he said rudely, without even turning to look at her.

He did this always. Always shut her out by saying something bad. But this time she wasn't going to let him get away that easy.

"You can't always walk away from me Draco." She protested and walked in front of him to face him. He cocked his head to the right side but didn't look at her.

"Listen to me Draco," she ordered "and look at me while I'm talking," she said clutching his cheeks with her fingers and forced him to look at her.

"Don't touch.." He couldn't complete before Hermione hushed him.

"I'll do the talking and you're going to listen, understand?" She said in a bossy tone.

"You have no rights to boss me around Granger," he growled and pushed her back against the wall grabbing her so that she could not escape. She didn't even try, ignoring the pain that shoots through her as he was holding her hands roughly.

"Then you've to listen to me," she said showing no sign of terror of his activity. When he didn't protest, she continued.

"I've seen you change Draco. You are not that rude-arrogant-pure blood as I knew. There's been something different with you these past days. You play the guitar and sing songs. I've never seen you do that in my entire life. You took the side of a Muggle-born witch, against some purebloods. And majorly, you apologized to me, Hermione Granger, the only person you hated more than anyone else in the world. I am not afraid of you and your threats, I'd say and feel whatever I feel like. Because I know you've changed, I can totally see that," she said the last words almost in a whisper and turned her eyes to face the floor. She got everything out what she wanted to say to him in these past few days.

His grip loosened against her. His face softened. It was hard for her to read his emotions. It was confusing. He felt sad, ashamed, angry all at the same time. Sad that he was lying to himself all this time, ashamed of what Hermione said to him was the truth but he was too scared to admit it and angry at her bravery to say all these things to him. Nobody has ever tried to do that.

The only person you hated more than anyone else in the world.

Her words ringing in his ears.

"I don't hate you," he said, more like to himself. It was true. He never hated her. When he first saw her, her bushy hair and her brown eyes, he considered her beautiful. He mentioned her to his parents. His father did a dig about her and told him about her being a mudblood. He didn't understand it that much then, but he grew up hating her because his father told him to and he was scared of his father. He did exactly what he said. Voldemort was influential, no questions, so he couldn't reveal his real feelings for her. And to be honest, he almost forgot all his feelings for her, until tonight when she sat beside him, caring for him, all those words just for him. It was like all his feelings came rushing back to him, just at that moment.